cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Rolling in the western Corn Belt?

Our friends up the street at Freese-Notis Weather say this morning that some dust is flying in southeastern Nebraska and southwestern Iowa. Elwynn Taylor's data show the soil temp's above 50 degrees in the about the southwestern 1/4 of Iowa. But, sounds like the moisture's going to be off-and-on the next few days and it looks like it could get soggy again in mid-May. 

So, what's your prognosis? Going to get some wheels turning soon?

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: Rolling in the western Corn Belt?

My southwest Iowa source says he traveled yesterday through Mt. Ayr, Red Oak, Bedford, New Market, Shenandoah, Blockton, Clarinda, Redding, and never did see a planter rolling. Now, he did see planters sitting next to the fields. So, it doesn't mean they won't be kicking up dust today.

Mike

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

WOW..... What does it tell you when a few planters in the western corn belt are running on the 30th of April?.....And it's news........ p-oed

PS..... We all need to remember that these crops are going to get planted..... Might not be the mix and or quantity that the market thought a few weeks ago but..... They will be planted.......

0 Kudos
Contributor

Furious planting in Central Nebraska.  Grand Island, Central City, Aurora area.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Analysts say look for Monday's Crop Progress Report to show that 14-17% of the U.S. corn planted. That's still on-pace as the third slowest. Despite the slow planting, there is a real bearish sentiment running through the halls of the trading building. I've mentioned this before, but it's worth mentioning again. One analyst said this market will move up and down like an elevator this spring and summer. Any sign of favorable planting-weather, boom, it will go from the tenth floor to the lobby. Any sign of unfavorable crop-weather, boom, it will run from the lobby to the 12th floor. 

Mike

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I don't know about those sources of yours down in SW Iowa, Marketeye...sounds sketchy to me! Ha!

Maybe we ought to send ol' Dave Green down there to do some crop scouting for us?

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Tell him to stay off the country roads. He tends to get lost on those and pre-occupied. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Re: Quite a bit of corn finished planted on N

Clear to the Canadian line and N of that too this year.

That which was not finished the last couple days will be by next week.

Rosseu Minn area etc...some of em finished corn the 28th.

Bunch of W IA will be done by Tues/ Wed too....talked to guys rolling this morn, all making fast progress.

Tend to think Mon CP data will not reflect actual ( at least a 7 to 15% data time lag this weekend )  because so much corn in now and ongoing now thru Mon in some sizable regions.

States like Minn probably 50%+ done now ( thru weekend )...should be all done by end of next week.

Neb...same deal,  Dakotas and W IA not far behind the afore 2.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Re: Quite a bit of corn finished planted on N

I don't know about that rightone, I traveled an hour and a half in southern MN, New Ulm and Fairmont area this morning.

Not a soul in the field aside from someone picking rocks. Nothing at all planted, not even small grains.  Saw where one field was worked, thats it. 

I agree that once it gets going it will go fast, but that hasn't started yet.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Wow it sure must dry out fast in SD. Re: Quite a bit of corn finished planted on N

Last friday, I was over by Mitchel SD, and mud every where, water lapping up to the county roads.  Guys dragging the slop off their driveways and out of their corrals so they could make it through with 4wd atv's.  Cows dragging their **bleep** in the mud.  Only Planter I saw was still in the shed.  Now a week later I hear SD is all planted!  Hard to beleive. 

Here in NW Nebraska we are dry, may try to get some pivots running on the rye this weekend.  No way I would plant corn yet, scraping ice off the windsheilds most every morning.

0 Kudos