cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: SW Rain?

cat you got us lined up we are 50 mi nw of Guymon on that line.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

sw363535 wrote:

at least we can kill the dead wheat and get milo planted for cover next winter. 

Couple comments for you SW, well maybe one question and a couple comments.  From your earlier post, can you explain to me how you kill dead wheat?  Seems to me that would be pretty simple, I mean even I couldn't screw that up and my chemical application abilities are minimal at best.Smiley Very Happy

I certainly hope you can reap more benefits from a planted milo crop that covering your soils over the winter months.

Glad your finally seeing some beneficial rain amounts and hope they continue for you all season.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Shaggy you caught the humor full force.   Ironically it is true.  

Wheat turned brown as it tried to shoot a head----- looks like a great glyphos trip--without tracks. just enough bindweed and kochia scattered to need a spraying if the rain perks it up.  Another rain we start spraying and planting milo wall to wall.

While we are on subjects "I have never seen before"--------------------

The multiple hard freezes this spring not only killed irrigated wheat---dead within a week(late tillers came, sort of)-- in places but the dry land wht has a 5 inch stalk below the sw head(sw heads=empty heads) that stalk is just mush.  If you squeeze it shatters to dust------- crumples might be a better word.   I drove through a spot yesterday early and was shocked at how it just turned to dust in the tracks.   I am totally in doubt of it being able to "hold" next winter.

The storm last night had the slowest lightning I can remember.  Like it forgot how it's done.  A big flash of light, then just wander across the sky and finally come to ground like a fizzling rocket.  Some took up to 2 seconds to make ground.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

sw,

did you have to hook the wench up today to get out of your drive after the H2O?Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

We are definitly struggling to remember what a person does on a wet day without dirt in the air.-------------- There is always a pile of "put off" work staring at you after a few moments of being thankful we didn't loose growing crop in the storm.....  1.2 to 1.6 inches on every field.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Glad you finally gauged some rain.  My BIL used to say that "a rain after a dry spell in KS, the rain gauge soaks up the first half inch. Sooo you may have gotten more that your recorded amount Smiley Happy  It still amazes me that 600 miles away we are having our wettest Spring on record and I must confess, ( hoping the next rain will miss us.)  My beans are not planted yet, maybe Friday and Sat.  I hope it rains enough that you can go wall to wall with milo.

Take care,

Wind 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

thanks wind.

A lot of the sw issue on weather comes with the territory  -------- it's a region of extremes.

Which brings up what is both "our" real concern,---- following two of the hottest summers ever will the law of averages give us a cool summer and a short growing season.  If so we are not going to have pleasant memories of 2013.

0 Kudos