Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Re: Saturday afternoon's little surprise

voluntarily?

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I guess I will ask the same question voluntarily?  I think mother nature has the say in this matter.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

voluntarily?

Our experience in the oven last year was-----------------Your just along for the ride,  nothing you can do or have done is going to change it when the leaves turn white.   We did not volunteer for it and don't wish it on anybody.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

He must think you can control the weather too close for comfort. Well if you can I will take 1.5 inches a week till the end of august cause have no sub soil moisture to make it week to week. Thanks
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Mother Nature always bats last. Really could use a rain in sw mo, corn pollinting the last 10 days or so. At this rate i'll be doing good to beat last years 30bu average. I have never seen it go 2 junes in a row and not rain. Incredible

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

We finally got a nice 3 tenths this morning. That brings our June total to a half inch. Today's rain wasn't enough to get us far but should be enough to get us through the next couple very hot days.

0 Kudos

The outer reaches of the ethanol mandate without any elasticity built in coupled with the background of the expectation of what future trend yield expectations would be was flawed public policy. Could have been built in a fashion that would have still been huge to ag but went with the blunt instrument approach instead.

Fortunately I'm not convinced the curtain has come down on this thing yet.

But not to worry- once da gummint creates an industry- like the crop insurance industry, it rarely fails to keep it alive.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Has the world run out of the two main stables for food wheat and rice since the mandates? The aswer is no. If you listen to some of the market pundits they will say these high prices have stimulated farmers to increase efforts to increase the number of acres and yields over the whole world. Which I tend to agree with and in the long run  lower prices will come because of burdoning over supply.  

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Went to see my brother that farms between Lincoln, Ne and Omaha, Saw a great corn crop ALL the way. beans are great

to very marginal. Many stand issues..

Basically muddy or at least wet all the way accoss HWY 34 from here in central Iowa to there.

Saw corn just north of NE City, NE that should be tasseling end of this week to shin high corn, most was almost waist high or taller.

Most of the crop on the Missouri  River bottom looked good but there are exceptions

Just north of the Percival exit on I29 there is a field that has had the sand and silt piled and windrowed (to about 12' high) and then farmed around these things. On the north side of that field was a large area of sand and silt deposits that the wind was making a dust storm out of. (100's of acres).

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Some of that rain that you did not get Black sand made it to Ontario.

Spotty coverage but we got 12 mm total, mostly before dawn this am.

Visited a 40 minute drive east and they were still dry this aft.

With the heat coming this week we needed all we could get and will need more soon.

Thank goodness our land is clay loam, holds the moisture well.

0 Kudos