cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Seedbean Shortage

One of my seed suppliers told me this week that he can't get any more seedbeans. They are sold out. I think it's very possible the big surprise this year will be soybean acres. Corn on corn guys took it in the shorts last year and many are going back to a more traditional rotation. Especially if this weather holds thru Spring planting. Soybeans use less water and can wait longer for that drink of water. Food for thought.

49ers 28 - Ravens 17

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: Seedbean Shortage

soybeans don't use less water..........do some research............they simply have a larger window to benefit from rain..........soybeans need about 20-25 inches of water (from soil profile and rain) to make a good crop..........corn is bascially 20 inches, maybe 25 inches of water (from soil profile and rain) to make a good crop............

soya seed has been short for nearly a month............corn is too, just not a lot of buzz yet, if its not on the floor, bend over..........

also, seed size this year is crazy........hearing seed as large as 2000.............makes for an artifical shortage.........big seed makes more bushels on a per weight basis............but when its being sold on 140K units, the bin empties pretty freaking fast when you are packaging units..........also germ is an issue this year on certain maturities..........most are still coming in at above 80%..........but that takes more seed too...........

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

MT you are correct on your water usage comparison of soybeans and corn.  I was fortunate enough to hear Brian Hefty speak a few days ago and he spoke of that very issue.  As usual, spot on.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I have done my research and am sick and tired of arguing with you. Read my original post. I said soybeans can wait longer for moisture. I have a 4  year degree from a major university, worked 15 years as an Agronomist for a major Coop, and sold seed as an independent for the largest seed company in the USA. Not to mention, I am a CCA.

What are your credentials?

Fraud

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

and right before that..........you said soybeans use less water............NOT true.............soybeans make about 2 bushel per inch of water...........corn makes about 9 or 10 bushel per inch of water..............that means 50 bushel soya need about 25 inches give or take................220 bushel corn needs 22 to 24 inches give or take.............

if your credentials were as good as mine...........you would know these things and not be arguing with me...........I would think you would know that..........guess not........

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Wrestler:  you could very well be right about the big surprise being more soybeans then expected. It will depend on  the preplanting soil moisture and fall prices to make the decision for either crop.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

You have credentials? You planting more beans on beans next year.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Once again, if your credentials were as good as mine you wouldn't be arguing with me...........

And next year is technically 2014, probably going to worry about 2013 first..........

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Wrestler, i was on your side 'til you decided to give us your resume. You just as well include your networth and how much land your fatherinlaw gave you.That would help make your point. I grow a few beans for monsanto, and haven't heard anything about a seed shortage. They haven't picked mine up either.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Wait a minute!  The seed shortage scare is starting early this year we just talked about the samo . . . samo . . . yesterday on another thread.  Guess after 2014 farmers will be done with these scare tactics put out by seed companies.  

You see . . . this type of crap is enough to make farmers hold back their own seed when RR1 patent expires next year so they can have the last harrah!  Because soon it will turn to a "death rattle" for seed companies. Yep!  The ground hog did not see his shadow, so it is time to ramp up the seed shortage propaganda.

I think farmers will find seed these year,  Every farmer I know still have unsold beans in their bins. Wanna bet they will have a hard time finding seed? I bet the hot new "tripple dipple" hybred corn seed is sold out too .  LMAO!  John

0 Kudos