cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Seems like 88!

Seems like 88 when the markets were very caustious and time= return. I think the market has a lump in its throat!

0 Kudos
20 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: Seems like 88!

What exactly happened in '88?  That was before my time.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

At least partial drought,Mint doubled in price,but every thing eles ended up higher also!

0 Kudos
k2farms
Visitor

soybean harvest started in August in MI. About half a crop. with no crop insurance.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

You are correct...no crop insurance, but there was a huge disaster program that came out of the FSA office.  Shortly after that, the rules at the FSA changed and the idea of federal crop insurance became the norm and has evolved to what we have today.  

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

If you got half a crop you did real good!  I was 17 that year. When it came time to chop corn the skies opened up and everything was mud.  Dad had a 3960 deere chopper he pulled with a 4520. The corn didn't even come up to the fenders.  We could chop an acre and a half of corn before we filled a wagon.  We had a 4400 deere combine with an 80 bu. tank. We could go about 5 acres before having to dump.  I chopped a 30 acre field of hay and filled 1 forage wagon half full.  

In order to have enough feed we put beet pulp into the corn silage as we filled the harvestore.  Folks this sure ain't 88 by a long stretch!

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

In 88 we would harvest all forenoon and go dump the bin on the combine at lunch full or not..... Was not pretty.....p-oed

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Depends where you are located.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

88: 80 bu corn on the bottoms and 25 on the hill ground. many had less.

Dad was picking with a two row ear picker at his place and the story was he put a hog in the wagon in the morning and change hogs at dinner time.