cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Selling On Craig's List

We usually think of Craig's List as the place to sell cars, washing machines, clothes, and even tractors.  One urban farmer is selling his goats, chickens and so forth on Craig's List.

Can you imagine selling any commodities on Craig's List?  Can you even imagine selling any meaningful number of specialty crops on Craig's List?

http://www.newstimes.com/local/article/Urban-farmer-selling-his-animals-on-Craigslist-5238917.php

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: Selling On Craig's List

I have sold hay on craigslist.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

It's usually low volume. I've sold more straw to big operators by going to them. It's always the startups/ small ppl who can't commit money who buy straw that way.

It's ridiculous when I get a call for a couple small squares, I tell them 50 bucks min and they don't even show up. Or those who want 2 rounds. Just no way I deal w those people. Gotta take at least 15 rounds or at least 50 small squares for me to show up, otherwise I may not be there when u get to me.

It's slow to find good customers on free ad sites, but it does happen. You just got to get rid of the rejects that are ridiculous or tell them no or tell them a minimum amount of business.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Hahaha! You sound like bankers talking about small loans!!! Smiley Wink

I've lost the most money on hay (when I briefly did that) to bigger buyers. They were very good customers until ........
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

I have both bought and sold items on Craigslist.  And yes, it is normal to find many farm items.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I run 180 small squares at a time to the local co-op. They can sell 2 or 3 at a time and deal with the hassle. They add a dollar to my price and the customer loads himself off of my wagon. Sell about a wagon load a week of hay and straw each this way.
Highlighted
Advisor

I wish I had done that years ago LCF!!

But for the longest time I'd just borrow the big dairy's wagons, fill him up at 2.50/bale then fill myself up.. So I had no wagon expense and put as many bales through as the both of us could store
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Spoiler

I get a good laugh out of just reading thru the used car ads on craigslist.  People will do whatever it takes to sell their vehicle.  Such as Car in great shape, runs good, new tires, no rust, but severe damage to front grill from hitting a deer.  P.S. transmission slips in reverse also.  Now that's marketing folks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Wow KY.

My buddy who works with me from time to time Said I should bale more hay this coming summer, since it has been such a bad winter, people will want to buy more hay this summer. I don't care if people want to buy more hay. I don't deal with the hassle either.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

That's good stuff KY. You get some good ones in that inbox of yours!
0 Kudos