Honored Advisor

Re: Shake and bake........

[ Edited ]

Bankers have been wrong before.. Their battle cry..."Remember Iceland" or at least some times it seems that way.

Senior Advisor

Remember Iceland ?????  I alway's thought it was Remember the Alamo ?   Well I guess I learned something today !

Thanks Hobby -  Smiley Happy

Senior Contributor

[ Edited ]

The manager of our local C. P. S. went on a tour of other stores in IND. and ILL. and KY. , I only spoke with him briefly about the crop conds. and he said that we in KY. had the best crops that he saw and the other managers agreeded.He said ILL. and IND. had a lot of tip back and firing, interestingly he said  the information they recieved from seed and other imput suppliers proved the U.S.D.A. was full of baloney on planted acres. I have done business with this man for many years and have no doubt as to what he is saying to be true. by the way for those who might not know  C.P.S. is CROP PRODUCTION SERVICES.

Advisor

Tip back

W T F....do you expect when you plant 34K?  

Senior Contributor

Re: Tip back

If you are asking me, I expect  the gov. to say they do not know instead of making up numbers. When I plant  anything over 32000 I expect to have a lot of tip back

Senior Contributor

Re: Tip back

If you live in a high yield environment and don't have a little tip back on normal sized ears it means you didn't plant it thick enough. If you have lighter soils or are prone to droughty conditions on a regular basis you probably don't want to plant thick enough to have much if any tip back. We dropped everything in the 33,500 to 35,000 range this year and so far I have seen no tip back to speak of. Last year we planted at those same pops and obviously had a great deal of tip back on some hybrids due to the drought. The late season rains gave us kernel depth and test weight that really saved the day. Kernel depth and test weight are really up in the air yet this year. Kernel counts are phenomenal but they will be a little shallow and light if we don't see a soaker before blacklayer.
Senior Advisor

Not much gravel or spit MT, just wire home the money. Smiley Surprised