cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
reck3268

Shallow rooted corn.

Last year with a deep rooted corn crop a cool dry finish led to record yields.

This year with much of the corn crop shallow rooted and the forecast calling for cool and dry. Will the big surprise be reduced yields?

Ron

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Re: Shallow rooted corn.

Have you or anyone actually checked to see if it really is that shallow rooted?

0 Kudos
wrightcattle
Veteran Advisor

Re: even some "tip over city"

And its still a biggee. MO.

Well see.  Just don't see enough falling over to hurt much.

0 Kudos
reck3268

It wasn't about the corn plant falling over it was about the roots not being deep enough to get all the nutrients to attain a record yield. Exact opposite of last year.

Ron

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Some of the nicest corn around "here" had to be mudded in and is rolling in the heat right next to standing water.  I mean you could get stuck Y-dropping in a field that`s curling.  Pioneer guy scouted some of this severely yellow stunted corn, the roots are growing on top of ground and if I wanted to look at it, I`m sure curling along with all it`s other problems.

I`ve been watching a "timely planted" field that was obviously mudded in out of desperation and yes, it has problems now evident form a 60mph scouting job.  When it`s done tasseling, the roots are done growing, so the problems may come in platoons without timely rains.....that we don`t want for any other needs"

0 Kudos
sol1971
Frequent Contributor

lol.... there wont be any rallies till this trade wars are settle... Steve Mnuchin admitted that the white house has no idea what it's doing on trade...that really has to worry every farmer...there's no plan of action for any decision made by this administration...i remembered our president saying that the us has never won a war... that he would like to win one... at your expense.... it's going to get tougher before it gets better... 

0 Kudos
reck3268

In other words you don't have clue where the markets are headed or if you are sure there going lower with no rallies you need to get more short the grains and beans.

0 Kudos
sol1971
Frequent Contributor

Pretty much, intra day charts on wide ranges allows algorithms to work...volatility,  not price direction. Once it reaches a price level it changes directions, like i said before fundamentals go out the window... i learned that the hard way...the fast development of the crops exposes them to the hottest month of the year...August... there should be some bounce back just on conditions alone...that is if it gets hot....however the uncertainty of this trade war keeps speculators away so positions arent kept for a long term like they used to. 

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Hot this week in KS and most crops I saw were stressed
0 Kudos
Blacksandfarmer
Veteran Advisor

Lots of "pineapple" corn here in southern Michigan and northern Indiana. We had floods to start with, and now its drought conditions. 

0 Kudos