cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Should we copy right satellite images of our farms?

Elaine Kub on Market 2 Market was talking about our "free" satellite images doesn`t tell the crop`s story like the expensive real time images of OUR FARMS.  If they used that information to back up our claims that it`s a crappy crop coming and prices went up, I wouldn`t complain, but while the moneyed people use our images secretly, letting the masses live off the crumbs of the free images..you get what you pay for of course. 

Elaine says the crop is so bad that this year you don`t need fancy satellites, just go for a drive, but she advocates for making all satellite images free to the public.   It`s like if you took pictures of Taylor Swift in public and used those photos to sell cars without her permission, you`d get a knock on your door.  Well, the satellites are taking pictures of us and using select ones to keep food cheap.   Maybe it`s time to knock on their door?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywev1UL6Fm8

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Advisor

Re: Should we copy right satellite images of our farms?

@BA Deere wrote:

Elaine Kub on Market 2 Market was talking about our "free" satellite images doesn`t tell the crop`s story like the expensive real time images of OUR FARMS.  If they used that information to back up our claims that it`s a crappy crop coming and prices went up, I wouldn`t complain, but while the moneyed people use our images secretly, letting the masses live off the crumbs of the free images..you get what you pay for of course. 

Elaine says the crop is so bad that this year you don`t need fancy satellites, just go for a drive, but she advocates for making all satellite images free to the public.   It`s like if you took pictures of Taylor Swift in public and used those photos to sell cars without her permission, you`d get a knock on your door.  Well, the satellites are taking pictures of us and using select ones to keep food cheap.   Maybe it`s time to knock on their door?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywev1UL6Fm8

Another Issue is that many farmers Are basic government info sources anyway. 

They're in farm programs,  they certify acres,  quite a few use Federal crop insurance..  Etc etc. 

That's All public information. 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Big talk is made of the secret "USDA lockdown" when information is complied, how about going the other way and having C-Span record their bean counting and how they come to the conclusions in real time?  Since there`s no longer any secrets and our "factories" have no walls, let`s have total transparency ...last I looked any Joe Schmoe can see all my USDA payments...perhaps they want to put out on the internet where I buy my socks too?   I know the Genie can`t be put back in the toothpaste tube, so let`s just let it all out there.

0 Kudos
Advisor

@BA Deere wrote:

Big talk is made of the secret "USDA lockdown" when information is complied, how about going the other way and having C-Span record their bean counting and how they come to the conclusions in real time?  Since there`s no longer any secrets and our "factories" have no walls, let`s have total transparency ...last I looked any Joe Schmoe can see all my USDA payments...perhaps they want to put out on the internet where I buy my socks too?   I know the Genie can`t be put back in the toothpaste tube, so let`s just let it all out there.

The Freedom of Information Act is likely to be for a Long Time to come. 

On satellites,  it's All there If you know how to access and interpret imagery. 

Heck there are a couple of satellites that zoom you and when you take a cigarette out of your pocket the brand and type of cigarette is plainly visible. 

There's likely not as many secrets out there as some may want to believe. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Re: Has anyone been able to....

Has anyone been able to copyright images of your home taken from the street?

Remember, satellites don’t work well in cloudy weather.

Is there any expectation of privacy above 500 ft?

Personally, I’m more concerned with the more obvious affect on price due to things like ethanol exemptions and soybean tariffs

Keep in mind, we’ve lost a billion bushel in production and Supply&Demand still shows next year’s Carryout to be 400-500 million bushels.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Those are their numbers and it’s their game.  No one is going to change that cheap food policy.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Well, Elaine Kub (and others) are saying it`s more like 80 million harvested corn acres, if the yield is more like 160 that`d be a production of <13 billion bushel. USDA has the "OJ Simpson acquittal glove" forecast of 13.9 billion bushel.  The trade is using "OJ`s glove" as the basis for price being where it is, which could be 800 million bushel "heavy".  

If you have the satellite imagery that reads the brand of cigarette that someone`s smoking in real time, you might know Elaine Kub`s 80 million harvested is more accurate, but the trade is focused on "OJ`s glove" which is free information.  See our tax dollars paid for this military grade imagery, I think it`s a fair question to ask if ALL of it should now be free in the public domain in real time?  Elaine in the original post link also expresses that opinion. 

I don`t want my farm`s image used this year, because I have a 240 bushel yield coming barring freeze or wind or fire or flood, but I drive around a lot and see there`s only pockets like this.  The trouble is "it`ll all come out in the wash" too late when we`re looking at a monster S.A crop on the way in January. 

Miranda Lambert 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka7gRrEy0JM

0 Kudos
Advisor

@BA Deere wrote:

Well, Elaine Kub (and others) are saying it`s more like 80 million harvested corn acres, if the yield is more like 160 that`d be a production of <13 billion bushel. USDA has the "OJ Simpson acquittal glove" forecast of 13.9 billion bushel.  The trade is using "OJ`s glove" as the basis for price being where it is, which could be 800 million bushel "heavy".  

If you have the satellite imagery that reads the brand of cigarette that someone`s smoking in real time, you might know Elaine Kub`s 80 million harvested is more accurate, but the trade is focused on "OJ`s glove" which is free information.  See our tax dollars paid for this military grade imagery, I think it`s a fair question to ask if ALL of it should now be free in the public domain in real time?  Elaine in the original post link also expresses that opinion. 

I don`t want my farm`s image used this year, because I have a 240 bushel yield coming barring freeze or wind or fire or flood, but I drive around a lot and see there`s only pockets like this.  The trouble is "it`ll all come out in the wash" too late when we`re looking at a monster S.A crop on the way in January. 

Miranda Lambert 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka7gRrEy0JM

I agree w Elaine and BA Deere. 

I  figure bout 80 million corn harvested. 

70 million of the afore is Good Corn. 

And say 10 million acres of poor corn. ...maybe 100 bu. Avg for that... Might only avg 70 to 80 too. 

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Brazilian corn production stats for the last 9 seasons ... up/down, up/down.  Maybe their final production this next harvest will end up like the U.S. projections --> fairy tales and unicorns.

tps://www.statista.com/statistics/741371/corn-production-volume-brazil/

Brazil's and Argentina's month-by-month crop production cycle...interesting stuff.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/media.agricharts.com/sites/591/PDFs/Brazil%20Crop%20Cycle.pdf

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

This is an interesting hands-on account of the burning in the Amazon:

"I am pleasantly surprised there is not a lot more
smoke in the Amazon. This is normal.
It is August, it is burning season.
The rains come in less than three weeks, if you
are going to burn, you need to do it now !!!!!
It is too wet the rest of the year !!!!

Back in 2003-2005, now that was smoke.
We are probably 10-15% of peak burning
like that of the early 2000s. What is the major
difference? We did not have any social
media back then !!!" - Kory Melby

.com/2019/08/aug-24th-amazon-fires-media-distortion.html?m=1

0 Kudos