cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor

Simple reason why eastern belt is disapointing....

Pro farmer says it aint cracked up to what they ALLsay it is......    Why?....cause the boys that farm there see a crop they hardly never seen before because they are used to seing dried out stuff.  It aint 200+ plus like many elude too......its NORMAL to ABOVE. ....150-185 stuff they havnt seen in quite sume time.  Nothing huge....just NORMAL.     Sorry guys out there.......just stating the facts.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: Simple reason why eastern belt is disapointing....

Gmanfarmer you have a point. This year is the first since 2008 that we have seen our 30 year average rainfall for June and July on my farm. Yes, when you are used to seeing crispy crops year after year, green living crops looks like bin busters. After walking my fields, my corn should be better than average while my soybeans could use a drink. Im farming on the Michigan/Indiana line.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I'm guilty of overestimating. Things went a little backward since my earlier yield checks. Prolly did them a little too early. But still expecting a very good corn crop like you say. I'll try to do a little new sampling this week.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Gman -- Actually I think that is also a key reason such a large chunk of the Ag community thought we were raising record yields this year. Average looks pretty good after looking at ugly for a while. Gotta admit that corn looked pretty good this year compared to the burnt up slow death we watched last year. At least until all of the usual wet spring leftovers like poor stands, drownouts, N-loss, shallow roots, and compaction started to rear their ugly head with the corn trying to fill the kernals and no rain for the past several weeks. I was guessing something less than 13 B after the wet spring, but started to wonder if I was too low when I started seeing 9 to 11 inch ears at 30K pops. Dry weather and tip back since has me back to my original guess and if it doesn't rain for the next few weeks or frosts earlier than average, I may be too high.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Advisor

Re: Simple reason why eastern belt is disappointing....

Funny...sometimes I am pretty slow...making a huge deal of the increase over the 3 YEAR AVERAGE...when all 3 years have been below trend is pretty much NON-SCIENCE!!!!

0 Kudos