cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JD4020408
Contributor

Since it is Memorial Day I thought this might be appropriate

I just wanted to share this, I know it's long but I like it. My dad rented a farm for many years from a man that had lost both his legs in Korea and I always looked up to him. He told us he had to play dead while the enemy walked around him, I always thought about how awful that would have been but I smile when I think of him, plus he always had the coolest cars(he owned a Charger 440 six pack with 26000 original miles, it still had the factory tires on it.)

Oh and to make this legit the good thing is beans here at ADM in Silvergrove KY are $15.55 with a $.40 positive basis, the bad is I don't have any except for some in a bag but they cost a whole lot more than that!

Now that some of our politicians tend to apologize for our country's prior actions, here's a refresher on how some of our former patriots handled negative comments about our country.

JFK'S Secretary of State, Dean Rusk, was in France in the early 60's when DeGaulle decided to pull out of NATO. DeGaulle said he wanted all US military out of France as soon as possible. Rusk responded, "Does that include those who are buried here?" DeGaulle did not respond. You could have heard a pin drop.

When in England, at a fairly large conference, Colin Powell was asked by the Archbishop of Canterbury if our plans for Iraq were just an example of 'empire building' by George Bush. He answered by saying, "Over the years, the United States has sent many of its fine young men and women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return is enough to bury those that did not return."
You could have heard a pin drop.

There was a conference in France where a number of international engineers were taking part, including French and American. During a break, one of the French engineers came back into the room saying, "Have you heard the latest dumb stunt Bush has done? He has sent
an aircraft carrier to Indonesia to help the tsunami victims. What does he intend to do, bomb them?" A Boeing engineer stood up and replied quietly: "Our carriers have three
hospitals on board that can treat several hundred people; they are nuclear powered and can supply emergency electrical power to
shore facilities; they have three cafeterias with the capacity to feed 3,000 people three meals a day, they can produce several thousand
gallons of fresh water from sea water each day, and they carry half a dozen helicopters for use in transporting victims and injured to and from their flight deck. We have eleven such ships; how many does France have?"
You could have heard a pin drop.

A U.S. Navy Admiral was attending a naval conference that included Admirals from the U.S., English, Canadian, Australian and French Navies At a cocktail reception, he found himself standing with a large group of officers that included personnel from most of
those countries. Everyone was chatting away in English as they sipped their drinks but a
French admiral suddenly complained that, whereas Europeans learn many languages, Americans learn only English. He then asked,
"Why is it that we always have to speak English in these conferences rather than
speaking French?" Without hesitating, the American Admiral replied, "Maybe it's because the Brit's, Canadians, Aussie's and Americans arranged it so you wouldn't have to speak German."You could have heard a pin drop.

Robert Whiting, an elderly gentleman of 83, arrived in Paris by plane. At French Customs, he took a few minutes to locate his passport
in his carry on.
"You have been to France before, monsieur?" the customs officer asked sarcastically. Mr. Whiting admitted that he had been to France
previously. "Then you should know enough to have your passport ready." The American said,
"The last time I was here, I didn't have to show it." "Impossible. Americans always have to show their passports on arrival in France !"
The American senior gave the Frenchman a long hard look. Then he quietly explained, ''Well, when I came ashore at Omaha Beach on D-Day in 1944 to help liberate this country, I couldn't find a single Frenchmen to show a passport to." You could have heard a pin drop.

I am proud to be of this land, AMERICA
8 Replies
ray h.
Senior Contributor

Re: Since it is Memorial Day I thought this might be appropriate

Thank you JD4020408,thats a great read!

0 Kudos
Husker-J
Senior Contributor

Yes, good read.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Brings to memory a few of my favorite Abe Lincoln Quotes --------- Especially the last one

Ethics--

I believe it is an established maxim in morals that he who makes an assertion without knowing whether it is true or false, is guilty of falsehood; and the accidental truth of the assertion, does not justify or excuse him.

Responsibility--

I have endured a great deal of ridicule without much malice; and have received a great deal of kindness, not quite free from ridicule. I am used to it.
--November 2, 1863 Letter to James H. Hackett

History--

Fellow-citizens, we cannot escape history. We of this Congress and this administration, will be remembered in spite of ourselves. No personal significance, or insignificance, can spare one or another of us. The fiery trial through which we pass, will light us down, in honor or dishonor, to the latest generation.
--December 1, 1862 

Responsibility--

In times like the present, men should utter nothing for which they would not willingly be responsible through time and eternity.
--December 1, 1862

Agriculture----

This leads to the further reflection, that no other human occupation opens so wide a field for the profitable and agreeable combination of labor with cultivated thought, as agriculture. I know of nothing so pleasant to the mind, as the discovery of anything which is at once new and valuable -- nothing which so lightens and sweetens toil, as the hopeful pursuit of such discovery. And how vast, and how varied a field is agriculture, for such discovery. The mind, already trained to thought, in the country school, or higher school, cannot fail to find there an exhaustless source of profitable enjoyment.
--September 30, 1859

Kentucky----

“I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.”

0 Kudos
Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

I agree with the previous posts, an excellent read on such a historic day.

0 Kudos
ray h.
Senior Contributor

We should find ourselves electing polititions based on this kind of conduct!

0 Kudos
kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Re: A friend of mine served in Korea

during the police action there. Macarther had pushed his forces way up in North Korea and these guys were up near the chosin reservoir when the chinese sent so many hundreds of thousands of troops to repel us.

My friend was there and he talked about that perilous situation. Advancing in the opposite direction while striving to keep  from being over run by the chinese horde.

This guy is in his mid eighties and is still among us. His tale of that service made me shutter to even consider it. That is the kind of stuff that those Iowa farm boys faced in the service of their country.

0 Kudos
JD4020408
Contributor

Kraf-t the man I speak of also talked about the Chinese, he said thousands upon thousands were marching over the hills coming at them, looked like the ground was crawling.
0 Kudos
elcheapo
Veteran Advisor

This is the kind of stuff that SHOULD be
printed in our papers and on our TV and radio rather than the dribble we have.

Thank you for our contributors, and those
In the service, both past and present.

I apologize for what our society has turned
Into, despite your hard work and sacrifice.

0 Kudos