Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Sizing Up The Outside Money

At 3:12pm:

Corn

The producers are net short corn, after this week, by 202,311 contracts vs. 245,477 a week ago.

Managed money investors are net short corn by 143,467 contracts vs. 123,800 a week ago.

Soybeans

Producers/Commercials are net short the market by 23,045 contracts vs. 36,271 a week ago.

Managed money is now net short soybeans by 90,013 contracts vs. 71,558 a week ago.

What say you?

Mike

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: Sizing Up The Outside Money

Producers     vs.     producers /  commercials    -   ?   

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Source and definition of terms please....

Producers?????

Commercials???

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

The CFTC's COT report puts commercial (ADM's of the world) and producers (Farmers) in the same  investment category.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

thanks mike.   Gives producers a bad name and misunderstands the process.....seems to me ...... say a producer sells some grain to a commercial(ADM) on contract.  It is an offsetting set of transactions.   But for the most part half of that transaction is not counted until delivery.  If the farmer buys beans back from ADM it will be not counted as it is now feed ingredients and profitized by ADM.

It is more realisticly a false way to missportray activity of the producer by using commercial data.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

The Actual Category Name is: "Producer, Merchant, Processor, User"  There are only 95 firms in this category. It does not include any farmer producers and was never intended too.   just fwiw.  Farmer hedging would show up in the "non-reportable positions" category. The report only monitors large traders. 

A better question would be: who or what is the 355,000 contract "Spreading" position by "Other reportables". To add clarity, 355k is roughly 2 BILLION bushels. 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I figured there might be a reason he did not include the link

I should have looked at it ------- thanks for the inclusion..... time

0 Kudos