cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cowfarmer
Senior Contributor

Re: Slick Willie says..... Blacksandfarmer

You are right, Vietnam was a long time ago, you can't compare.

0 Kudos
nwobcw
Advisor

Re: Slick willie says......

Gored I've never see any figures on in it but I would think the cost of transporting bio mass material to the plant would be prohibitive.   Wouldn't it take more "mass" of whatever to produce the same amount of ethol than corn.  Even if you baled straw or whatever for free how far could the average farmer haul it with a pickup and gooseneck and make anything on it.

0 Kudos
jrsiajdranch
Veteran Advisor

Re: Slick Willie says......

Black If I haven't said  It before Thanks for your service.  There is no country worth the blood shed to keep it free at the same time there is no country that can be free without the blood shed by it's patriots.

I do not know of a 5,000 cow dairy being built every day. Would you care to elaborate? 

0 Kudos
Blacksandfarmer
Veteran Advisor

My point JR is that the dairy industry shoots itself in the foot by putting up more mega dairies. Some of these big dairies have gone under or are under new management. I don't know many who have cut milk out of there diet so I can't see any other reason why prices would be lower for milk. This country needs to take a step in the right direction. About the time the US starts thinking lets find energy alternatives the Arabs start lowering the price of oil making people forget about alternative energy. I don't farm enough to even make fighting for ethanol worth my time but I get sick of handing my money to terrorist countries, anything to give the Arabs competition is a step in the right direction.

0 Kudos
jrsiajdranch
Veteran Advisor

Black we do not shoot ourself in the foot by putting up big dairies. We become more efficient!  Don't believe me ask Idaliver. He thinks the big who are in it are more effiecient and should take it all over!  The funny thing is that while we have more large scale dairies we have fewer cows. So the expansion of the size of individual farms is not growing our cow herd!  We have done a lot of things wrong in the dairy industry and many of our problems can be traced to a reliance on Gov. support for ineffiecient support programs. Take a lesson from our shortsihgted misgivings. And get weaned off of ethol subsidies NOW!  Your industry will have much better success if you stand on your own two feet.  

0 Kudos
Palouser
Senior Advisor

Are you saying milk production has been heading south? If it hasn't then animal count isn't the critical factor. Has consumption been reduced? These things are cyclical and dairy has been through these low prices when grain has been high, and when it's been low. Dairy seems more cyclical than any ag commodity I know of.

0 Kudos
Blacksandfarmer
Veteran Advisor

JR we just discussed a 5,000 head dairy going up in Nebraska a couple months ago. I am no dairy man but I milked cows through high school and my Aunt was married to a Vanderhoff for a while, so I know how these big dairies work... or at least used to work. You know as well as I do if ethanol went without government help it would probably go out of business... Which is probably the point, right???? I believe big oil still gets subsidies, so why would you be opposed to ethanol getting help? Ethanol has been a thorn in the livestock groups' side for a while now. Weather-related disasters and a weak dollar have made corn prices shoot higher, not ethanol, its just the livestock guys' way of finding an end to a means for ethanol while they have a chance and quite honestly all this bs just might work. Im done getting worked up about the ethanol debate and this is my last post on this subject. In closing I would like to say I respect the livestock groups for what they do and JR I would NOT want your job..... but I think you guys are in the wrong on this one. The livestock farmer consists of about 1% of the US population. If ethanol was eliminated by policy change, the price of gas and fuel oil would jump .50 to a dollar and effect the entire nation. Thousands of rural jobs would be lost, and we would be giving more money to terrorist organizations to kill more US troops. I may not be ethanol's biggest supporter but I know the consequences of its exit. So while that 1% has a heavier wallet for a while, far more will suffer. Be careful what you guys wish for.

0 Kudos
jrsiajdranch
Veteran Advisor

Pal actually we are starting to lose numbers big time. This last report on cow slaughter showed we were down almost 1% ANd yes we are losing consumption as well class 1 sales are down by 1.4% from 09 to 10.  ANd production is actually going down & dollar corn will cause it to severly drop.

Black I just got back in from feeding cows tonight. And you  are right if ethol didn't have gov. support it certainly wouldn't be doing as well as it is. SO if it takes a dollar off the price of corn to make ethol work that helps me doesn't it?  Doesn't that also make the thol more long term viable?  When ever you prop something up with a tapayer support it eventually goes away. Think union workers in Wisconsin.

I am sure I am very unpopular. and I am sure that each of you thinks I am in some way bemoaning my current status on ethol.  I ahve said it before ETHOL is the symptom the disease is a fiat currency.    Well think what you like I have posted before let her RIDE! This will not end well. 

0 Kudos
Blacksandfarmer
Veteran Advisor

Its ok JR we just have a difference in opinion. When grain prices get this high livestock producers, grain elevators and eventually the consumer will suffer as result. I hope good prices come your way soon. Hopefully we can get into the field in a timely manner and maybe you can lock in some cheaper corn. Im already most of the way sold for about 60% of this coming crop so it doesn't matter to me what happens with the markets as much as others on here.

0 Kudos
Palouser
Senior Advisor

I too respect your enterprise. All sectors of ag have their tough times. It's not like we can back out and do something else when things change, and animals are a whoe new level of complexity IMO.

If N America has production problems for corn and beans this next year I do think it puts pressure on ethanol. But I think any changes would need to be incremental in order to avoid more wide spread pain. It would certainly help if the cellulosic process became more efficient. Ethanol stock would immediately start spreading outside of the corn belt.

0 Kudos