cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Small crops

Keep getting smaller. 

Judging by Every Yield Tour that's been run so far. 

Bet September yield checks will be smaller yet. 

Everyone states the crops are basically several weeks behind normal maturity. 

Had a client price a bunch of immature ear corn in the field. 

Told him to adj that to dry corn basis then snaplage it bag it... And bag a couple years snaplage supply to background calves with. 

This is 200 aph ground normally. 

I figure dry corn basis yield is 40 to 100 bu . Per acre. 

It's real immature. 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Small crops

USFR had Chip and the boys, they say "tell me the freeze date and I`ll tell you the yield".  If Jack Frost holds off another 6 weeks (late but not impossible)  the poor will be fair and the good will be pretty good and USDA won`t look so dazed and confused. 

I have a feeling though, we better count our lucky stars if it`s only a normal freeze date of Oct 1.   But 70s and 50s/high 40s at night just won`t cut it for anything planted late, we`re just running out of daylight as the calendar pages turn.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Re: Small crops

@BA Deere wrote:

USFR had Chip and the boys, they say "tell me the freeze date and I`ll tell you the yield".  If Jack Frost holds off another 6 weeks (late but not impossible)  the poor will be fair and the good will be pretty good and USDA won`t look so dazed and confused. 

I have a feeling though, we better count our lucky stars if it`s only a normal freeze date of Oct 1.   But 70s and 50s/high 40s at night just won`t cut it for anything planted late, we`re just running out of daylight as the calendar pages turn.

Your right. 

This less daylight is the big negative now. 

A lot of stuff this year will Not be mature even w a late freeze. 

Salvage value is Feed in some cases. 

And some will be 2 moldy for feed also. 

0 Kudos