cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marketeye
Veteran Advisor

Snow Soybeans

An Iowa farmer is planting soybeans today. He is attempting to capture that September market. September futures are trading 37¢ over November. yes, you have the agronomic issue of whether the beans will be hurt by the current cold snap. but, also, the marketing question about whether 37¢ premium is enough to gamble with the planting conditions. The beans were going in nicely, into the no-till field. It's what the farmer told me.

Here are the images of this morning's planting. You can see the snow flying in the photos.

No-tilling beans in the snowNo-tilling beans in the snow

Snowplanting soybeansSnowplanting soybeans

I'll have you know that the farmer didn't roll too much longer past the time that he sent these to me, due to the tires starting to get a little tacky.

What say you?

Mike

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Re: Snow Soybeans

I have a neighbor that used to do stupid stuff like that.

He can't farm any more, no money and no credit left.

(Several bankruptcies)

Even had his picture on the front of a national publication.

illinifarmer
Advisor

Yep not to smart, good luck to him.  Lots of guys here put soybeans in even some up.  Lessons are learned from failure and losses.  Well we will know more in a week or two how costly some of these impatient farmers mistakes were.  Just because the neighbor is doing something dumb doesn’t mean you have to follow. Common sense to most of us. 

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Might work or as it is supposedly going into the 60s + by weeks end.

Ground will stay cool as is not worked and darkened.

Two volcanoes going off in central America putting lots of ash and sunlight reflecting gases in the atmosphere

Just might be an interesting year.

Snowflakes in the air here in southern Ioway and 35°F as I type this @ 1:25PM on April 19.

$14.75 beans right now (cash)

Been to 14.80 ... have you fueled up the truck Roaring?

Have to wonder if the guy above listened and followed the experts over the buffalo jump at the &9 area for the 20 crop year with last load or two at $10 and now $5 later is worried about 37 cents?

0 Kudos
rickgthf
Senior Advisor

Re: It's well understood that ...

It's well understood by seed physiologists that one of the most stressful things you can do is for some plant seeds is to imbibe (rehydrate) under too cold conditions.  For example, with some seeds, you can rehydrate in warm water and then plant in cold soil without much damage but rehydrating in too cool water (soil) results in poor results.

Supposedly the reason is that when seeds rehydrate the membranes & proteins need to reorganize which they fail to do when the liquid environment is too cold and the visocity of water is quite high.  Things just can't get organized, the membrains leak and the cellular contents lost & damaged.

Remember, soybeans are tropical in origin (southern China) so they haven't evolve under northern temperate zone (sub Arctic) conditions.

0 Kudos
lsc76cat
Veteran Advisor

Had a plant biologist from Purdue tell me a few years ago that planting in cool/wet ground is a significant contributor to SDS in soybeans. 

0 Kudos
roarintiger1
Honored Advisor

Hobby, my truck is fueled up to haul corn. It pushed past the $6 mark now. 
Soybeans are only at $14.40 cash here. The bean bin door is still welded shut. 

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Having second thoughts about $15  when is still April and weather forecast is for 50's for the highs the next week.

Not conducive for a good early start

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Who knows, maybe you bust your butt to have beans ready in September only to have them hit their highs in November   Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
rsbs
Veteran Advisor

I have seen several "prominent" area farmers pose like peacocks on national publication front pages and inside. Most have lost a lot of their holdings through the years. I guess the character that seeks out that type of attention and the character that it takes to put your nose to the grindstone and actually make and keep money and property don't coincide.

I will remember that as I plant a couple of farms I own now that used to be owned by big shots.  Keep your profile low, you don't make as big of a target that way. They were kind of big wigs in the big D party, too, not that is a reason to fail. What possibly could go wrong with printing money like it is toilet paper, right?

0 Kudos