cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
timetippingpt
Honored Advisor

Re: Snow Soybeans

While the snow melts, I'll venture in to something here that will likely get some hate filled replies.

I'd challenge you RSfullofBS. Over the last 30 years I have made an effort to actually get to know a large number of those farms that appear on the covers of SucFarm, FJ, TP, No-Till farmer rag, etc. For example, we have benchmarked with LongView Farms (this year's TP of the year cover child) since 1996. Met with them numerous times, toured their farms. They are the best people and the best farmers on any continent. We have benchmarked against quite a few of the others (>30), and almost are granite rock solid. There have been very very few of them fail. A large number, I would say close to 90%, have increased their family's farm wealth by 20x or even 40x. Most of them are hard working great individuals that give back in large ways to their community, church, and even the poor in their areas. While it is easy to take cheap shots, like you just did, it is certainly not accurate, nor even gracious. Frankly, it is just small.

If you are jealous, call up Market-Eye, he is always looking for someone to put on the cover of something :-). The rags would love to do far more stories on "normal" farms like yours, just no one wants to talk. The big guys mostly work on building their brand like we do, so publicity is part of the business. Plus we have learned so many valuable things from those guys on the cover. Far more than any bs degree from ISU :-) Thank goodness they have been willing to share with the public. It makes all of us better (sharing information).

jmo....well, fire at will boys you can see the white's of my eyes.  :-0

0 Kudos
WCMO
Senior Advisor

rsbs and time -- I've seen both, both of you have solid points, and both are true in their own situations.

Many years ago, as a credit-examiner, whenever we saw file clippings from farm magazines populating the loan file folder, we did often look much deeper at them.  Some were a testament to great management, skills, background or luck.  Some were examples of folks who actually over-spent to look good for various reasons, with the file clippings only serving to assist misinformed decision-makers to complicate poor loan decisions.

Just sayin' -- sometimes appearances are what they are, and sometimes appearances are deceiving.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

It’s a blind cheap shot — whether it’s right or wrong is just a matter of luck.  But for sure it’s a big example of pointing out human mistakes by example.

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

"Mike Stamp Farms cover of Top Producer"   nuff said on that.

But I didn`t know anyone was taking planting beans in early April to capture 37¢ that seriously.  It`s more than likely a "Twitter thing" than a solid business decision.  In southern Iowa if he`s planting a little on the deep side, he`ll probably be okay, the thinking being it`ll be in the 70s next week and cracking ground then.  But planting date is a bell curve, planting too early is a yield hit just like or worse than late planting.

Probably he was planting indeterminate beans like rest of Iowa and the idea is to plant in April to get growth before June 20 summer equinox, that`s more to do with yield not so much the harvest date.  If you want to harvest early for a old crop premium, I`d plant some Asgrow group 1.4 on April 28th, better chance of them emerging behind the planter out of the staring blocks. 

Only trouble is maybe it starts raining and you can`t plant April 28th and the Cowboy that planted super early will come out smelling like a rose.  Smiley Happy  

Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Sorry i opened this can of worms.

Seen plenty of small and medium sized farmers also fail. 

Percentages probably about the same or worse for the smaller ones.

Just more noticeable and fun to talk about the big failures.

Leaves a bigger hole the bigger the operator.

0 Kudos
k-289
Senior Advisor

Those  early  harvest ,  Sept.  2020  sales ,   were  examples  of   what - ? 

Reflection  of  2020 ,  seems  toilet  paper  sales  were  brisk  -  -  -  

0 Kudos