cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
John_Walter
Advisor

Snow and soil moisture

A couple comments recently from fellows here led me to work up a piece (full story) on the snow cover and its potential impact on soil moisture. Thanks for the help.  Let the markets now move.

Actually, I learned a new word in the process: sublimation.

Get all the exciting details here: Snow is mostly a mirage for soil moisture.

Thoughts? 

John

0 Kudos
13 Replies
giolucas
Veteran Advisor

Re: Snow and soil moisture

John,
sublimation occurs in trading when your profitable position evaporates into a losing one.Smiley Wink
0 Kudos
nwobcw
Advisor

Tile are running full and the creeks are over the banks after the rain/snow event this week.  NW Ohio.

0 Kudos
ehoff4187600
Frequent Contributor

In central MO this snow will go directly into the soil as the soil isn't frozen. It may not help further north but here we will be recharged as we have moisture 3' deep plus the snow. We are in excellent shape as our residual N is still there and we havn't lost our oxygen.

0 Kudos
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

About two weeks ago, I was flying over some flat land and it was ponding water but the ditches were low.  In the hilly country there was no standing water but the creeks were bank full.  Frost.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

John,   Thanks for the article and you may be right.------------------ But I am going to feel good anyway.  It's been a long time since we had water standing and wet snow around.

A start.

0 Kudos
c-x-1
Veteran Advisor

sw,

I like your attitude....not allowing the sublimation of H2O to sublimate your feelings from good to bad without feeling neutral for at least a little while, first. Smiley Wink

The water is not ALL going to sublimate, esp in your parts where ground is not as solid. In fact, you'll probably have more soak in.

c-x-1 

p.s. can soil sublimate??

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

funny---------------------- I think it can------------------- if the wind is high enough.

South of Lubbock on a windy day  for sure.

0 Kudos
c-x-1
Veteran Advisor

sw,

true with the dust storms, not scientifically speaking, but from perspective of farmer whose land the soil leaves from, ey?

did you see BA Deere's link to NASA forecast? if that manifests, might see some kernals/pods sublimate from solid--plasma.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Yes I did.

Trying to ignore it.

Like a junkie in rehab------------ a nice snow took my gitters away ------------------ temporarily.

Been living here at "Betty Ford" Drought rehab for several months now--------------- Lets say 30 months of "dry"

The farming habit demands liquid infusion.

0 Kudos