Advisor

Snowed a foot yesterday

On the third day of spring no less.

Plows are out.
0 Kudos
23 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Snowed a foot yesterday

I seriously doubt you will get to plant corn this year.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

What are you talking about 4WD ? Planting corn ?? I would say he will be lucky to plant anything , well maybe he could plant --- snow peas   Smiley SurprisedSmiley Happy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Yeah, you are correct. Snow peas are his only answer.

It gets me, these guys who get so worked up at the late snows and cold weather affecting crops not planted yet. They have such short memories. Last year we had a cold wave hit here in SW Iowa a 4" heavy, wet snow April 19, chasing corn planters back into sheds until the first to middle of May. Still raised some tremendous crops both beans and corn in '13, so, go figure.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

In sw ks we lost our wheat last year to two days of 17 degree F ---- the first week of May.

USDA never acknowledged the loss.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

4" of heavy wet snow kept you out of the fields that long, wow must of been tough. You must have been really stressed.I thought getting 18" May 2nd was bad but that 4 " must have been really wet to keep you out that long. We were rolling again by the 13th.
Honored Advisor

15.3° F this morning here in southern Iowa

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I don't think farmerguy is worried yet about planting... I think it's all the corn he still has in the field. Can you see the tassels sticking out yet?!! Or dug down to some ears to see if they are even worth harvesting? It's gotta be hard to sleep at night!
6" snow here last Monday. Sprayed UAN and some snake oil on SRW the day before. Warmed up and the wind blew to make it all better Smiley Wink I can drive my pickup across pasture already to check on baby calves.
0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

No new snow for us 89. But it was 0 this morning if it makes you feel better. lol.

But I don't foresee any field work until May. Still lots of snow on the ground.
0 Kudos
Advisor

I can see the cobs. It never got deep enough.

Local guys say we don't really mold.. It just blends in when you get it. It's all clean here. It's stupid cold up here anyways..

I'm not worried about planting yet... But we made so much Melting progress and it got taken away!! Driest corn is 15 and clean.

Cant get some of te equipment out of the snow...

Everyone has to finish the harvest, then plant a crop though.

Tall order, but it should go faster with dry/heavier crops!
0 Kudos