cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

So where`s the corn at?

Made a parts run to Mason and made the rounds of 2 coops that usually store a fair amount outside.  Harvest here is wrapped up, Joice has a pile and a quarter, Ventura has that little dab, well even on a crappy year they fill those piles.  And the cocky locals been all over twitter showing their yield monitors just above and below 300.  So, I don`t know what`s going on here.  Ray J would say "the piles are in round steel things we call bins"....maybe, but this isn`t normal.

BADeere_1-1636397271894.jpeg

BADeere_3-1636397336469.jpeg

9 Replies
k-289
Esteemed Advisor

Re: So where`s the corn at?

Resemblance  of  the  upcoming  feeder  cattle ,   fed  cattle ,   imaginary  glut  -  ? 

0 Kudos
rayjenkins
Veteran Advisor

BA.........is the pub and grub still open at Vinje???

I've been a little surprised at the lack of Iowa corn piles, but there are some explanations

ranging from the need to use a lot of corn to bridge the gap between old and new crop supply

to having a lengthy harvest window that allows folks to work supplies through the system

Ray J

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Also, last year cleared out a lot of storage that was rebuilt and begins the season empty at 150% or higher volume.

But the overall volume is not out there. across the country.  Higher and higher fertilizer costs are not going to build a surplus future.  

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

we have piles in my area.

Creston has two

Menlo has a big one.

Lots and lots of corn is still being stored in the fields around here.

A fair amount of beans out there also.

A heavy wet snow will decrease the carryover if not gathered up shortly.

I finished Sat evening.

Spent a little over five hrs cleaning up combine and corn head so I could stand to look at it in back of shed.

Not sale clean but ...

We gots the corn down here in the Podunk part of the state. 

0 Kudos
k-289
Esteemed Advisor

B A  -  I  thought  those  monitor  results  were  top  secret's  - ?  

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Hey Ray, yes the Vinje pub is still going strong as ever. 🙂   I would recommend you and your wife going to the Branding Iron in Thompson at sometime for the best steak in the world.  

It`s funny first time in a few years a small, very well run coop in Forest City has filled trains a couple times this fall.  The corn has no trouble finding takers.  I think the report will raise the yield a bushel on both corn & beans and it`ll be right back to the races. 

K-289 with yield monitors they give that info willingly, pride cometh before the fall   🙂

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Lots of NH 3 being put on in Winterset Iowa area yesterday. 11/08/21

Quite a few fields already done.

Have no idea of price.

0 Kudos
roarintiger1
Honored Advisor

No piles around my neck of the woods that I know of……but with two ethanol plants in the area grinding about 150,000 bushels per day I can see why.
Plus, I believe the local elevator has shipped three trains so far as well.  

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

I suppose anhydrous is $700-$800 if you bought early.  Seems like certain neighborhoods are bigger on NH3 than others, around here everyone`s into strip til/fertilizer then spring  weed`n feed and Y-drop.  Ventura is where Y-drop was invented  🙂

For the past week, bean export inspections handily beat expectations, lower prices found buyers, China is Christmas shopping early.