cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Sold some $69 sows

That`s live weight, up $6 from last week.  Kind of funny Dec lean hogs are $75 which`d be about $56 cash hogs.   Maybe ought to raise sows? .... No,  sometimes you`re the bug, sometimes you`re the bumper, just this week selling sows was the bumper.   I thought BLT season was over  πŸ™‚

0 Kudos
8 Replies
sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Re: Sold some $69 sows

Dang inflation.

0 Kudos
k-289
Esteemed Advisor

Does  that  translate  into , nobody  else  is -  ?  

0 Kudos
sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

There aren't many of those big 'ol pasture girls any more.

Mostly just broke down 2 or 3 parity skinny whiteys.

I think I sold a load of huge 5 or 6 parity sows for over 50 once.  I do recall it was a bigger check than I got for a full load of fat hogs on the same trailer.

0 Kudos
sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Good sausage like Bob Evans was $4 at the store. The half fat store brand was $3.

Don't know what the sausage yield is on a big fat sow, but looks like there's plenty to go around for everybody- glad to see the farmer is getting some of it- unlike beef.

Wonder if the packers or retailers will raise prices further? 

Will if they can.

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Raising prices is a good thing actually, it prevents hoarding (which is a danger).   Like if a hurricane is coming and someone sells gas for $10/gallon and everyone goes nuts and the governor has a photo-op.  However, a huricane is coming and you NEED 5 gallons of gas to get out of Dodge, you buy your 5 gallon and not a pint more and get out, if the gas station is forced to sell for $3.20/gallon, then everyone and their brother is in line filling gas cans and they do run out of gas. 

Like meat, if they raise prices, then kids won`t eat half a burger and throw the rest in the garbage or the mom will finish the uneaten half, because it`s valuable.  And nitrogen too, farmers will conserve expensive fertilizer and ultimately make better use of their crop nutrient needs.  High prices are opportunity knocking.   And probably change parties in Washington too, which would be a good thing  πŸ˜‰

0 Kudos
rickgthf
Senior Advisor

Re: Wait just a minute, ...

Down below you were damning Biden for those high prices but now you're saying those high prices are good for you?  And at the same time, you're saying that returning to trump would cure those same high prices?  Make up your mind, do you want low prices, no profits, & no opportunities,  or do you want high prices & profits that come s with Biden?

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

I make up less than 2% of the population, you can drop me in any part of the world and I`m going to do alright.  But, I like it here and would prefer that the last bastion freedom not be destroyed.    We celebrate Veterans Day, unfortunately their blood was spilled in vein, we`ve co-opted the very enemy we`ve fought in the past.   Sad? Ubetcha.

k-289
Esteemed Advisor

Some  would  ask  -  Got  those    China  Hog   chores  done  for  the  day  -  ?   ?   ?     

0 Kudos