cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Some Trouble in River City

We got the corn in a month ago in what we thought was decent conditions, but now what`s up with this pale corn?  We`re 100 GDUs behind and it`s showing, corn should be taller and of course greener, the young roots are in a compaction zone, the 85 degree days are pushing it, but the roots can`t feed it.  I asked a agronomist about it and he is not confident that "it`ll grow out of it" this time. 

It`s been said if you can pull a digger or gas rig across the field, it`s fit to plant, maybe this was the year to leave it in the bag and plant June 10th?  Time`ll tell, but if you planted later in the evening this spring, "fit ground" would get tacky because the moisture would work towards the surface...that is freaking weird.  

Strip-til, starter fertilizer and fields that`ve had a lot of manure appear to look the best.  It`s been said for top yields, corn does not like to have a bad day in it`s life, well it`s had 30 bad days already.  We have corn not planted in areas and where it is planted, it isn`t anything to brag about in many cases....I don`t know, is this the year that the US doesn`t raise a corn crop? 

I told a friend that if he sells anymore new crop corn, that I`ll send the men in white coats after him.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Some Trouble in River City

Well BA, my corn isn't yellow.......I'm guessing it's still pink......I can't see it, it's still in the bag.  

We can only hope to get corn planted on June 10th around this area.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Look at the bright side Roarin`, you can return your "pink corn in the bag"  for a refund but my seed dealer doesn`t want my yellow corn   Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Yep.....no doubt about that.

0 Kudos