cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Sorry SW

Looks like our area is "in the running", a big demand by a bunch of chickens for milo and the like would be nice...plus don't

have ground in that county, but we are just across the line...hey, we could put up more windtowers like we have now, and

use it to power to chicken plant.....so we could sell green chickens !!!!

but, I would guess Coffeyville would get it, bigger town, closer to a bigger employment pool of Wichita, will give more tax advantages...

but, it would be nice.

www.usnews.com/news/best-states/kansas/articles/2017-10-19/3-kansas-sites-finalists-for-tyson-chicke...

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Sorry SW

yes we had heard that.  Maybe the protesting fools will drive them back out here.........  We are just a tough location for the "cheap meats"....... Lots of miles of freight to most of the metro's..... we got the land and the infrastructure with trucking support and aviation

I would agree coffeyville is a well located spot with near interstates running direct to 4 major population areas....and a little milder climate than Yours or ours.

Sedgwick will face the same kook protests and is probably too heavily populated .............. and I have heard they have "russian" connections in the Koch community.  Smiley Happy

Concordia is a nice location though and has most of the advantages of the previous choice + 150 miles.  maybe struggles to provide labor for that project, but what rural community in ks doesn't need new residents with jobs and a few more houses built if needed.  

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Hope that area gets it..... 

That is a business that fits in with agriculture and enhances the existing commerce in farm country.  IMO

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

How much do figure this will improve basis, and for what distance from the proposed plant?

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

no details at this time

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

According to Politico, there is some strong local opposition.

1.  Already low unemployment so that means workers have to imported

2.  Would stretch local infrastructure and improvements would have to be paid for from low wage users

3.  Farmers get enthralled to Tyson and end up living hand to mouth

Are you seeing or hearing any of this talk?

For the local producer, is having a sure, local market worth it?

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Politico........... makes my hands quiver to type it.......... is not much of a credible source of anything....

Seems to me there is enough local opposition to stop the world from turning in almost every local in the world....

Like an independent publication on the internet .......... nearly worthless.

But that said........

Jim 1,2,and 3 are all true for the sw panhandle region 50 years ago when beef packing came to us, with all these 100K feedlots scattered for 200+ miles........... and again 20 years ago when Seaboard brought us hog packing and buildings across three states.....  There was opposition every time....and always will be and now with an "INTERNET" volume  is in that voice.... 

There was probably local opposition when Washington moved the continental army south to trap the british.  

We have enjoyed a 0.50 to $1 basis advantage in feed grains over the corn belt ever since.  Add to that better roads, shopping, and opportunity than we had before.   Not to mention some diversity to an economy that was, at the time, dominated by oil and gas, which has vacated(or at least automated away jobs), in large part.

We have 14 end user feed mills in a 40 mile radius as well as 4 good coops.  And 2 ethanol plants, a biodiesel plant...a terminal location on a railroad for west coast export and grain and ethanol byproducts unloading from the corn belt............................ Sorry to be trying to spell it out....

How do you measure what that has done for local agriculture?............ Not to mention the numerous enhancements to livestock farming in the area!!

We needed the commerce...... not every place needs more jobs and activity.... That was actually the problem in Northeast Kansas.  They did not need more industry... with Kc, Lawrence, Topeka etc all within 40 miles...

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

I just don't know.  CNK does need "something", the whole region does.  Biggest town is about 50 miles away, and a 4 lane

highway going to it.  CNK also has a junior college that usually keeps the houses filled.

If CNK got it, would need a lot of "stuff" .  Water could be an issue, although they have a major river, sometimes it is low, but there

is well water....but, a chicken processing plant uses ALOT of water, and so will a few chickens running around.

Highway access is pretty good, have 81 highway, that connects to i70 and i80.  A lot of housing would need to be done.

While there is unemployment around, we might need to ship in some workers from the area.

The biggest problem might be the local government.......they are, how should I put it, a bit different.

Their new jail was a disaster....took almost 2 years longer to build than planned.....the contractor sued the county, they county

had to use funds from other departments, and county units, to make a payment......and then there are other things in the

past.

they have an issue with the local hospital.......it needs work, but its been turned down 3 times at a public vote to issue bonds etc.

they will need a functioning place with a processing plant.

A lot of hard feelings in the county...the opinion CNK does what's best for CNK, and to heck with the remainder of the county.

0 Kudos