cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wilderm137109
Friend

Soybeans

Kind of felt sorry for a couple young farmers today.  Each brought semiloads of Food Soybeans to a specialty market in S WI.  One was 78 miles away and the other was 88 miles away.  Found out moisture was over the buyers legal limit.  Options, take them and sell them as regular beans or take them back home and maybe find a bin with a drying floor and run a lot of air over them until they dried down.  Losing $1.50 to $2.00 a bushel off the top is tough with anyone.  Late yesterday I decided to try to do some and stopped before dark.  Nearly noon today decided to try again.  Monitor went from 14% to 14.2%.  I unloaded and put combine back in shed.  I took them in even only part of a load.  Same moisture at delivery.  Just under the limit.  A LOT of soybeans out around the US yet.  I know as I was around the country last week driving truck.  And an added insult as at least 1/4" of rain this afternoon and evening.  Will be next week before I consider trying again.  Talking possible snowflurries for Halloween around here so-----------

0 Kudos
4 Replies
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Re: Soybeans

Thanks for the report wilderm137109.

Welcome aboard.

0 Kudos
farmerguy89
Advisor

All ip beans need to goto bins... Makes it easy to mix dry with wet and getaway with high moisture.

Ip guys really got screwed for weather so far, buts it going to get better.

Do they not own moisture testers? It would drive me bonkers if I was to grow those without one.
0 Kudos
wilderm137109
Friend

I think they knew moisture was a little high but there combine was not giving a correct reading.  I felt somewhat that way also.  Either way a tough lesson to learn.

0 Kudos
Jameshh1964
Senior Contributor

Boy that's rough. Welcome to the cyber coffee shop Wilderm.
0 Kudos