cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Steps to boot the spammers

Good morning, everybody. Took a few steps yesterday in an effort to knock down some of this spam, and (knock on wood) it appears to be helping out. Again, thanks for your patience in all of this!

Wanted to let everyone know what I did, as there is a small chance it might influence everyone's ability to post under certain specific circumstances. First, we have a content filter system comprising a few keywords. I added some to that list -- mostly words just common to those "watch such-and-such sporting event live" spam bot posts. There are 15 in there total (don't want to reveal them here just in case the 'bots' are watching). But, I set it up so that if a message contains any of these words, it will not permit its posting. So, if that happens to you, please let me know and I'll see what might be the cause.

Also, I have implemented a "flood control." That basically doesn't allow a user to post multiple messages within a certain period of time (again, I'd divulge what exactly that time period is, but don't want to tip our hand!). Typically, these spam bots post their junk in rapid succession. The control I implemented, like the keyword content filtering, will just simply bounce the messages, not allowing them to be posted.

Like I said, I'm hoping these steps help keep this problem at bay. I will continue to watch and kick out anything that might get through. And, if anybody has any trouble at all, or if you have any questions, please let me know via a private message here or you can shoot me an email.

Hope everybody has a very Merry Christmas! Stay warm!

JC

10 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Steps to boot the spammers

Board looks clean this morning Jeff, and is much improved.

A big thank you for your efforts. They are working.........

Why anyone would want to slam this place in beyond me, but they did.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Hey, thanks, 4wd. Like I said, I'm too stubborn to stop on this until we've got 'em whupped! Ha!

These spam bots are indiscriminate and don't care where or what they're posting. They're just mindless machines pushing junk. But, by golly, we'll keep pushin' back on them until it's all taken care of!

Hey, thanks again! Any problems or questions, just holler! 

JC

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Jeff,

First flour milling equipment, now sporting events, next it could be that miracle love pill.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Good show Jeff, my first post this morning zapped me.  One keyword triggered it Smiley Happy all the other questionable words that I snuck through still gone through and that`s the main thing Smiley Wink

In the spammers "beep you admin" yesterday, they must`ve started taking your defense of the site personally. 

But Thanks again for your efforts and Merry Christmas.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Good morning, BA. Sorry about that. I saw what triggered it. Was the word 'watch.' This should just be a temporary thing...as soon as we can feel like the spammers have moved along, I'll remove those more common words from the content filter. That was just such a common thread among all that stinkin' spam, so I thought if that could knock it down temporarily, I could remove it from the list in a short time.

BA -- and everybody -- thank you so much for your patience on this issue. I know it's been as much of a pain for you all as it has been for me, and I want you to know I appreciate you all hanging in with us. Keep on postin' and getting everybody riled up! Ha!

Quick glance at the thermometer here just shows a temp of -12. Hope Santa can get that ol' sleigh fired up. Maybe he ought to throw in an extra can of ether for the road...

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

And a quart of shine!!
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Looks like a diet pill----- Got get him Jeff!!

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

Four on the floor and a fifth under the seat!

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Butterscotch schnapps and cocoa helps make -12F a little easier to take.

0 Kudos