cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Sub $4.00 corn Get a grip!

You guys that do not realize 4 is as low as the 2s and 3s you  remember from the last time,must be smoking something awful! Your cost of production alone,just figuring equip,land,chems,and fert. Leave you with the same margin you were facing in the last downturn with the 2s and the 3s. Unless the ethanol boys go completely go besserk,my thoughts would be you will remain in at least the $4.00 level. There is just to much under estimated demand standing at the door.Get a grip and forget those lower numbers,they are for idiots!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Sub $4.00 corn Get a grip!

I think $4 holds the corn market for now.   I do think we will see sub par $4 in the future,   it will take awhile but if everything holds true as it has in the past 100 years,  it will hit below $3 again.   

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I am having a hard time believing the on farm storage number of the USDA.  First, the moisture of the corn this year was very variable and higher than a normal harvest in a large area of the U.S. This leads many farmers to over guess how much is in the storage bins. I mean guess, because many farmers count how many semi's or wagons went in a bin or count batch dryer loads to determine the amount of corn harvested.  I can assure you with higher moisture corn without taking the corn after drying, over a scale, you will be off.

Second, I believe all the corn in the field yet is considered "on the farm".  Your yields may dip quite a bit, because the moisture level will be 8-10% at harvest.  It happen to me. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

is there still corn in the field in the northern areas of the corn belt? 

0 Kudos
Advisor

Tonnes of corn in field. A-hole winter/fall threatened to take my beans. Immabout 10% done corn personally. Some corn is under drifts. Some equipment is under snow. Corn mostly standing well. Anymore snow and all ears are submerged. I've never done a spring harvest personally.

So far: fall way above precip, winter has surpassed typical... What will spring bring? Anymore craziness this spring and I may decide to do some pp if it's financially agreeable. It's a lot better to alternative to fighting the weather like I did this fall/winter.

Biggest increase to most guys inputs is rent fellas.
0 Kudos