cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

T. Boone & global warming

Hey, all. Well, just got back from the Land Investment Expo here in Des Moines. They had T. Boone Pickens as their keynoter. He was really funny. Kind of sat around telling funny stories most of the time. He said a few years ago, he had 4 billion dollars, lost 2 billion in the recession and gave away 1 billion, so he was down to 1 billion! Ouch...chump change, eh? 

I asked him if he has any advice for farmers staring into the teeth of lower prices and likely lower incomes, just like what he had happen in 2008 and 2009. He said, basically, to "hunker down" and take what you can get, even if you don't like the number. 

Folks were kind of ribbing him about running for president, but he said he'd be 88 by the time the 2016 election rolls around, so he'll probably sit 'er out. I had no idea he was that age! His fiance (yep, FIANCE) told me, when I asked her what she'd do if he woke up one morning and said he wanted to run for president, and she said flatly "He won't." I asked her if he gets tired of politicians pulling on him one way or another, and she said no, because he enjoys saying what no politician would ever say too much. He spoke to the Western Governors' Association a while back, she said, and more than one governor told him they like him because he "says what we can't get away with."

Overall, the land investment expo was good. I'll have a lot more coverage coming up, but did get one story whipped up based on a talk by the climate expert Patrick Michaels, who works for the Cato Institute. Talked a lot about climate change. He's neither a naysayer nor a supporter of the human element's responsibility in it, but he did say a lot of the info that makes it to the mainstream media these days is chock-full of hysterics and extreme positions. Nobody likes to listen to the mainstream middle-of-the-road reasonable guy, I guess! He was pretty entertaining, though. Here's a taste of what he said. I'll have more later on it. 

Hey, hope everybody's out suntanning in this almost 40-degree weather (at least here in Des Moines) today! Break out the short pants! Ha!

Hey, everybody have a good 'n' this weekend!

Jeff

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Highlighted

Re: T. Boone & global warming

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

now that's a positive attitude!

"yeah, i lost a couple bil in a trade, but i still have $91,324 per day for the next 30 years if i need it to live on"....... Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Hey, c'mon, CX! What's a billion between friends?!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

you shoud have asked, "hey, since you gave a billion away - you wanna give just a few mil away right now in the name of a good ag - related cause?" Smiley Wink

just keep bein' his friend - ya never know - hope you got a telephone # or email soz you can stay in touch and all.Smiley Happy

i've read quite a bit about Texas politics and the Big oil - starting in the 1940's - 1970"s when he probably made a good chunk of his change....I can only IMAGINE the good, the bad and the ugly he saw - experienced on some of those deals that went down during the LBJ, Connelly reign starting in the early 60's

some of the books i read talked about some of them years bein' preetty greedy, outlaw-ish type years.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

I heard a little of T. Boone on WHO radio Friday noon and caught a little more on that Iowa politics show on PBS Friday night.  He sounds like he's a couple of levels above me.  He sounded like he really was not on top of commodity prices and he was mainly mouthing platitudes.  Probably a funny guy to talk with, but I'm not sure his investment advice or observations works at my time and level.  And maybe not at the national level, but who knows about that?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

Jeff, thanks for reporting the Patrick Michaels bit. Nice to see some factual, common sense, non biased info related to the multi billion $ global warming industry.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Must be a lot of ego pumping goes with talking about your giving.

I've always admired those who give without notice and had my doubts about those who need the attention.

Maybe it is just age.....

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

But read the commentary after the story Jeff wrote and linked to above.  Guy chastised Jeff for giving air time to Michaels.  Kind of a fire and brimstone elegy on global warming.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

I take him as an avuncular old guy who believes that he should be able to buy about anything he wants that is moral, in his sense of the word, and he's not going to worry about what anyone thinks.  Gates and Buffet give chunks and we all know it.  We knew about Carnegie and so forth.

It seems like T Boone would like OSU to be a top school and as he said, he's put about $500 million in it, about half to academics and half to sports.  Given the general public attitude toward sports and education, I have to give him a hearty thank you for giving academics such a large portion.

0 Kudos