Reply
Honored Advisor
Posts: 5,700
Registered: ‎01-10-2012
0

TID BITS

[ Edited ]

30 hr total

2.84"

Senior Contributor
Posts: 617
Registered: ‎05-13-2010
0

Re: Rain delay

Thats 4X my 30hr. total.  Still a rain delay here too.  100% rain changes for Monday and Tuesday nights.

Keep an eye on that creek.  Farmers don't have a ground crew.  We have to let it rain and then let it dry before any action starts again.  No "knock it out of the park" yields around here.  I finished a custom combine job for a farmer Thursday, it was a hailed field that went 137bu per A. It is doing 60 bu better than that of some non-hailed fields.  

Honored Advisor
Posts: 5,700
Registered: ‎01-10-2012

Re: TID BITS

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-rH5GNuUEcE

 

 

Why aren't  the dems/liberals all over this as foreign interference with our internal affairs, and possible election influence/fixing?

 

Oh yea it might help them...it's ok then.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor
Posts: 613
Registered: ‎06-03-2010

Re: TID BITS

Hobby,  after the Des Moines Register put that four page China crap in the Sunday paper,  cancelled sub.  The wait was over an hour to get waited on when calling to cancel.  So I called the subscription line...and let them cancel it...took about a min.  To be fair, after waiting 25 min on the cancellation line I gave up...but they did say the average wait was one hour.  Be really interesting to know how many sub. they lost....

Contributor
Posts: 304
Registered: a month ago
0

Re: Rain delay

I am told that weather forecasts looking good for a one week window starting later this coming week in most corn growing States. Expectation is for long days starting Wednesday. Tomorrow (Monday) we will get the latest harvest reports, which last week indicated continuance of a strong harvest that was about two weeks ahead of last year's harvest progress at the same point on the calendar. 

Honored Advisor
Posts: 5,700
Registered: ‎01-10-2012
0

Re: Rain delay

https://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=DMX

 

South third of Iowa is gonna need more that just a few days of dry weather to get started again. The real rain is supposed to be Tuesday. Fifty degree days aren't going to dry anything , water standing everywhere now.. glad I don't have thousands of acres of beans out in the mud.

Honored Advisor
Posts: 5,700
Registered: ‎01-10-2012
0

Re: Rain delay

Click on storm total on left menu bar.

Contributor
Posts: 304
Registered: a month ago
0

Re: Rain delay

Which is more in danger, the bean crop or the corn ? Buy the one more in danger and sell the other...that's the play if conditions are that wet across the entire plain States.

 

I would not panic yet, corn harvest was two weeks ahead of last year so they can lose two weeks and still be on target, We heard the same story last year when the harvest got started very late and the expectation was there was not enough time to get the crop in...and in a few days the corn farmers had completed the harvest. 

Honored Advisor
Posts: 5,700
Registered: ‎01-10-2012
0

Re: Rain delay

Bean crop is at the most risk.

 

Water standing on the fields, very cool weather , lots of clouds, no drying, any time from now on it could dump a nice wet snow on them.

Could get to be Argentina north. As you aren't a farmer you are at some disadvantage there in La, La land chitown. You have no clue about sprouting, lodging, pods popping, mold and rot, 

 

On the corn side, wind is the #1 enemy. Extremely poor stalk quality in a large portion of Iowa this year.

 

But carry on telling us all about it...

Contributor
Posts: 304
Registered: a month ago
0

Re: Rain delay

Carry on ? Where do you farm, England ?

 

Its pretty common knowledge in the trading rooms that the corn farmers were well ahead of last year's harvest pace as of a week ago, which adds up to a two week buffer to get the crop in before falling behind last year's performance. Its also well known from experience that large percentage gains in harvesting have been scored in relatively short time windows. 

 

Bottom line is no one is panicking right now about whether the weather will cause the harvest to be substantively lower than the crop estimates. I think if the harvest progress by this time next week is not much different than the performance registered last week, that's when some alarm bells could go off that would affect the price of December delivery. And even then, the present forecast for the second half of October is for much dryer conditions across the corn belt, which again keeps people from being much worried about weather affecting prices.

 

So carry on, keep calm, and sell. The market is giving you a gift at present prices.

 

Spot of tea, perhaps old chap ?