cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

TID BITS

Well the black swan seems to be a flu like virus, really small little critter.

Saudi Arabia and Russia have launched a crude oil war.

Cheap diesel will not mitigate loss of eplants .

Went out to supper last night with friends. Place was 3/4 empty. Not a normal Sat night, only the Mexican place had a mostly full parking lot. I guess jalapenos and guacamole ward off bad viruses?

Here is a link to a freshly published medical paper in the Lancet journal about this "black swan"...

https://www.thelancet.com/pb-assets/Lancet/pdfs/S0140673620305675.pdf

One of the passengers on that cruse ship off the coast of California has a gal that works in the HyVee pharmacy next town north of Podunk. How long after she's home would you feel comfortable letting her count out and package your pills?

Gotta love this "made in China" thing

Anybody notice most food items no longer no longer have country of origin labels? Still think that was a good idea to get rid of that?

14 Replies
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: TID BITS

Yesterday a quick trip to Waterloo to meet the Daughter "halfway", the Olive Garden was packed at 2:00pm and a 30 minute wait, no one was paniced or wearing masks.  In Mason City we stopped in to give our weekly $200 donation to the Walton Family aka buying crap at WallyWorld and it was packed, no one wearing masks, however the Wife said all the hand sanitizer shelves were completely empty.  Fleet Farm was busy,  on week days Fleet is a ghost town, I suppose all us farmers with 2nd jobs now, have to shop on Saturday  🙂

But life is going on, there are Black Swans that are going to occur regardless who`s in the White House and it`s how we deal with it will determine how much longer this 244 year experiment will continue.

freedom1493
Veteran Advisor

It's been kinda interesting over the last week watching the panic buying.  It seems that Americans feel a pandemic is mainly survived by purchases of large amounts of toilet paper, paper towels, cases of water, Red Bull and Snickers.

"Oh, Bob, don't forget to buy 10 bottles of bleach. It's one aisle over from the Red Bull."

Do you think they even realize that bottled bleach is only considered highly effective for merely around 6 months because it continually degrades down to uselessness whether you opened the bottle or not?

Anyway, for the last 2 months, we've been counseling our own kids on a game plan for when this thing takes its now almost unavoidable downturn.  Kid A will bug-out to Kid B with all supplies.  Kid C will team up with Kids D and E... and so on.  All of them understand how bad this may get.

We do have 1 YOLO kid ... if you don't know what YOLO is, it means "You Only Live Once."   She's the kid who always came home with explanations such as:  "What happened to your face?"   "We skipped school and went jumping into the pond.  I forgot to let go of the rope and hit the tree on the backswing."   .... sigh

I finally got through to her last night (she and her family now lives several states away from us). 

Her:  "Everyone is so panicky over a silly virus."

Me:  "Well, like we've asked you before, what's your game plan....especially if your husband gets sick?"

Her:  "Well, just take care of him."

Me:  "And when all the hospital beds are full and he cannot breathe because, with this coronavirus, your organs can fail and you can drown in your own fluids?  What's your game plan?"

Her: ".........(silence).  Can you help me come up with one?"

So talk to your own families and make your own game plans for "worst case."  No harm, no foul.

========

Jennifer Zeng survived torture at the hands of the Chinese Communist Party and has posted videos showing what really has been happening on the ground in China:  The welded doors, the beatings, the dead bodies stacked up in vans, people dropping dead in stores and on sidewalks, the suicides...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksuThUZQLnc

https://twitter.com/jenniferatntd

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

China`s house of cards is really toppling.   It seems like Covid-19 hits people of Chinese descent harder than those in the West, could it be the lack of protein in their diet? 

Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

does that equate into vegans are at greater risk of death? Lots of vegans are "greenies" , 2 for one blue light special?

For a million $ Grant, I'll ask around...

On a different topic but also historically deadly...

https://www.armstrongeconomics.com/markets-by-sector/agriculture/the-threat-to-agriculture-which-may...

ksimpke
Contributor

LOL - Iowa 55 still doing the Tid Bits huh ?  BTW- I always enjoyed them 55 

Anyway - I thought I should be neighborly and stop in today - 

55- I think you'll like this map , it is amazing what they pump into the air over there 

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/02/nasa-images-chinas-air-pollution-decreased-amid-coronavirus-measures...

Have a good on 55 

Ken 

freedom1493
Veteran Advisor

The knowledge re: this virus is still in its infancy (China actively destroying data doesn't help), BUT what's believed at this moment in time is that the virus uses the ACE2 receptor to dock into and begin its infection/replication of virus in a human body.  Men have more ACE2 receptors than women, Asians have more receptors than non-Asians (such as Caucasians or Africans), and smokers (of which there are many in China) have more risk than non-smokers.

Diets have been brought in question. 

The Uyghurs are said to be pretty much immune so far to this virus and their diet is said to be mostly centered around meat, dairy and some fruits and vegetables.  Anyway, diet is something to be investigated and/or considered.

wrightcattle
Veteran Advisor

Re: good post freedom1493.

@freedom1493 wrote:

The knowledge re: this virus is still in its infancy (China actively destroying data doesn't help), BUT what's believed at this moment in time is that the virus uses the ACE2 receptor to dock into and begin its infection/replication of virus in a human body.  Men have more ACE2 receptors than women, Asians have more receptors than non-Asians (such as Caucasians or Africans), and smokers (of which there are many in China) have more risk than non-smokers.

Diets have been brought in question. 

The Uyghurs are said to be pretty much immune so far to this virus and their diet is said to be mostly centered around meat, dairy and some fruits and vegetables.  Anyway, diet is something to be investigated and/or considered.

Great post freedom1493.

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

China lost half their hog herd to ASF, I don`t think most of them were over fed when their pork production was full bore.  Too stubborn to import, so I suppose they just put everyone on half rations of protein ...President Xi always looks well fed.  

Covid-19 is strange, the normal flu would be in about every state by now (I`m not at all complaining that is hasn`t).  It spread big time in Italy.  China needs to come clean on just what they released on the world.

0 Kudos
freedom1493
Veteran Advisor

Appreciate that, Wright.  Thanks!

=======

BA: What gets confusing is that COVID-19 (coronavirus disease-19) isn't the actual virus.  COVID-19 is the infectious disease caused by the virus known as SARS-COV-2 (SARS coronavirus 2).  Anyway, I just call the whole ball of wax "COVID-19" for simplicity's sake.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/grows-virus-cell-culture.html

But once you get past all the WHO's name-games, AND realize this sucker is SARS virus' ugly cousin, it has some interesting features, including some sections in its genome said to identically mimic sections of the HIV genome (which helped give birth to the theory that COVID-19 is a bioengineered sock drawer full of mixed viruses).

The reason this virus isn't in every part of America yet is because it is a novel virus.  It has been said that by the time this thing runs its course, 40-70% of the world will have been infected.  The medical folks also believe that after this initial go-round, you will find this coronavirus (or variable mutant strains of it) coming back year after year like the Flu does, and like the Flu, COVID-19 vaccines will be a crap shoot.

China's little Twitter henchman has announced we all should be grateful to China for not banning export of pharmaceuticals to America and that we should be grateful that they promptly handled the virus.  Almost too surreal to be believed.

Anyway, between locusts, pandemics, grand solar minimums, and now that little snot-nose Turkish despot, Erdogan, basically declaring war on Syria and Europe (his troops are right now busy tearing down border walls between Greece and Turkey so that the illegals can flood into Europe), things are definitely getting an #EndTimes' feel.