cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Re: Just because the Chinese.....

That’s cute, you can pull all the defense you need too.  I personally seen and heard the interview as well as read the tweets. Before redaction.  Have you noticed a pattern of constantly having to defend him for his rhetoric since election  size of crowd days?  #25th amendment 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

RE: Cancelling orders and crashing markets, to which something was done about it.

As far as cancelling orders and crashing markets, something was done about it, they simply added cancellation penalties to the contracts and that practice stopped.  Hasn't been a problem for several years.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Re: TID BITS

yes china was screwing with our markets for a long time but dont you think the old phrase 

" burn me once shame on you. burn me twice shame on me" would come into play? Like pay up front before it leaves the dock? Being tricked over and over doesnt make sense. Seemed to me that nobody ever held them accountable. Maybe they would retaliate by making walmart,costco etc to also pay up front. O well ag prices crashing are a small price to pay to keep their profits rolling in and the balance of trade in chinas favor and reinvesting or should i say buying up america like sygenta. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Re: As for ......

As for what's on this list:

• "Cyber intrusion into business networks
  •  Forced technology transfers in exchange for market access
  •  Intellectual property theft
  •  Dumping into our markets
  •  State owned enterprises which are heavily subsidized
  •  Currency manipulation
  •  Killing Americans with fentanyl.

As for "cyber intrusion"  the Russians, East Europeans or North Korean are just as likely to be involved but there's no trade war with them.  In fact, trump won't even admit the Russians are doing it.

Both "forced technology transfers and intellectual property" were dealt in the initial agreement accepted by the Chinese last spring.

"Dumping into our markets", if you're referring to steel, that's more easily dealt with thru the WTO, besides China wasn't the only one doing it.

"State-owned enterprises heavily subsidized" what's the difference between that and all the farm subsidies being passed out?

"Currency manipulation" , if you would care to look, you would realize that the Chinese have tried very hard to maintain a stable currency for many years now.   The recent devaluation of the Yuan is due almost entirely to trump's trade war, not deliberate manipulation.  All the Chinese have to do is to stop defending the Yuan.

"killing Americans with fentanyl"  who got that all started in the first place, American drug companies.

So, please stop making excuses for trump's irrational & unnecessary actions.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Re: Lower protein.....

Well, lower protein couldn't have been too much of a problem, the 16/17 market year they bought 36.6 MMT.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Sorry, but I never heard of any "cancellation penalties"  for China.   And as far as not doing that in the last several years, I think China has done that all along.......right up to the current year.    If there were penalties, they were so minuscule, they still would make out sinking the soybean market to lower levels and then re-purchasing.

They have been manipulating the markets for years.   

Where do you think Syngenta's problems came from?   China not only crashed the corn market, with the lawsuits, they wrecked Syngenta's profits and then purchased the company for pennies on the dollar.  They did the same thing to the hog market and then purchased Smithfield.  

I would stand up and cheer ANY President that would put a stop with this.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

I'll concede that there's some validity to all the grievances that he delineates.

But being right doesn't matter if you don't have a coherent strategy to address them.

And the best shot you get is by getting it more or less right the first time- it gets harder from there on.

That's generally the problem with backward looking reactionary movements. Yes, "mistakes were made" but we're still in the present moment and have to deal with things as they are, get the best we can in the real world.

Could have at least partially addressed some of the stuff on that laundry list, but flailing around has just made it all harder..

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I actually heard that it was Brazil with the low protein soybeans.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-brazil-soybeans-exclusive/exclusive-brazil-soybeans-lose-protein-...   

As regards to these China trolls and wondering about "coherent strategy" yada yada.   Here`s Kyle Bass and Steve Bannon  explaining it, but one needs more attention span of a turnip to sit still and listen to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH5QzuzD01A

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Maybe a clue to misunderstanding this discussion is when you use these terms: “our markets”   — if they were our markets no discussion.  

We’re discussing “what the world market offers us”.  Our buyers and their marketing contractors(those courted experts) are fighting hard to hold onto the gains they have made.  Convincing American producers to sell US commodities, within the US, at the lowest levels of production sales in the world.  They get US grains at Brazilian prices without freight.  

Unfortunately we have large international corporations working hard to own US agriculture production.  Continued sales below US break even costs are accelerating the process. 

The US food costs are the cheapest in the world in terms of cost of living.  We need to reestablish a US market.  

Like it or not, continuing to give away grains is not gaining ya anything but a short term high and continued inflation. 

Honored Advisor

A tariff is what you do to correct inequities in trade.  Who is being irrational?   Maybe it is the producers that chear for a billion bushels of our production being shipped out at market lows thinking it will bring higher prices.  

all it means is we set the New Years market low with the most expensive bean crop in the world