Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

TID BITS

Yesterday's crop tour...

Went to Des Moines yesterday.

Most corn has lost most of the green color

One very notable exception is on West side of I35 just north of the Cummings exit. White silks showing. Hmmm.

Beans are mostly yellow to starting to brown out.

Few green fields, but are the exception .

Looked at my beans yesterday evening, still Oliver green.

Temp in low 70's looked under the canopy and felt a few pods.

Absolutely COLD to the touch. Swamp cooler effect going on under there.

Most harvest activities are still couple weeks away or more.

8 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: TID BITS

How tight is that window from Oct 1 till snow flies?

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Can get snow anytime after first week of Oct, will not stay long.

It is the snow after Thanksgiving that can be troublesome.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Illinois just got 2-1/2-inch hail and 70 mph winds from "freak early winter storm."   It's only 1 week into Fall - we aren't even close to winter. 

Can't imagine that did the crops any good, though.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7516393/Illinois-hit-2-5-inch-hail-stones-70-mph-winds-amid...

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Snodgrass says that 8 million acres are susceptible in that nw fringe cornbelt  (DeKodies) that could be impacted with that cold blast coming.

In NCIA fair number of beans taken off right in that 13% moisture area.  Corn pretty much blacklayered, i`d say "here" we`re basically safe from a freeze, though there`s always pockets of late stuff. 

I`d say here, my biggest concern is beans and wet weather, where if we can`t get back in the field in October because of one nuisance rain after another (my nerves are too shot to think about flooding).  Because you can be kept out of the bean fields with small consistent rains and then you get to November, then you`re really at the mercy of the weather, sometimes lucky to find a hour here and there that`s fit.  And for some reason nobody wants to dry 17% beans, why is that? Smiley Happy

I don`t like wet Octobers at all, but we should at least get to October before I start worrying   Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Always storm losses just before harvest somewhere, BUT  this year has been extreme and shows no sign of unrelenting.

I am under flood watch and it is pouring rain here. Beans all on bottom ground that was planted to corn and was drowned out in May.

Under water first week of Oct?

I've got 240 acres of oats planted on PP  No haying weather for getting that done either.

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

Would really like to have some of the rain you guys in the midwest are getting. Haven't had a measurable rain here since the Aug 26.

94 degrees today, and the next few days

Beans dying prematurely, thrashing 4.7s today.. 9.2 moisture, started at 10.8 this morning. Planted May 18..

This will be worst beans crop in 6 years 

Corn crop done, haven't figured weights yet. Farm avg according to combine 80 to 225. Probably be the worst corn crop since 2012

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Monarch butterfly migration is here in South central Iowa.

We have a hackberry tree in the backyard loaded with them this evening.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

In my 46 years of farming I have seen it "Winter in" on Oct 31 twice.  No more field work, harvesting or tillage because of ice or snow.  Those two years where anomalies, but they did happen.  Central IA.

Last week took a 4 day trip to the Cedar Bluff Reservoir (Trego Co Kansas).  Not much going on in western IA, some harvested but not much.  In NE there were more crops harvested and some combines rolling.  In Kansas I was surprised how much dry land corn was planted and being harvested.  (South of Quinter).  Some was tangle a little from wind.  The stalks had big ears but planted at 15 to18 K.  There are a lot of crops to be harvested between here and there.  Way more corn than beans.  We need a dry next 4 weeks to get it done.  Very little harvested here in CIA

0 Kudos