cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

TID BITS

Darn British and German scientists...

https://www.foxnews.com/science/ancient-rainforest-antarctica-point-to-warmer-prehistoric-world

Notice sea levels...

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: TID BITS

The question I would raise is -----why....   ?    in other words we assume the earth is the same even though it is changing around us every day.   I want to ask what was the diameter of the earth at that time compared to now.... is the water volume greater or just the same on a smaller planet?  Or is that a "per point" assessment?  Has land elevations risen and fallen over time?

Is water used up or just transferred and used in various ways?  Does energy consume water?  Is water created?

I have always seen weather as a water purification system on the great cesspool?  If the earth circumference were a few miles shorter with the same amount of water, wouldn't humidity levels be higher and vegitation more crowded?

In other words these "theories" always create more questions than answers?  or is that just my choice of "how to see it" as I work on a dexterity program that includes more pinky exercises with "quotations".

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Like most things  --- the picture is always bigger and more complicated than the lefts simple answers.    But we continue as humans to try very hard to find 15 minute answers ot questions that are timeless.  

It seems to be very irritating for us as humans to depend on something we can't "figure out".    Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Read about that stuff a few days ago, same basic story, interesting nonetheless --

https://www.ancient-origins.net/news-general/rainforest-antarctica-0013503

and here  https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/04/200401130825.htm

Interesting, but at that time the large land mass was still forming into continents -- likely not a "clean" process, with particles and sediment from shifting land masses being deposited or left behind.  Lands and seas were not the same in those days, both in location and elevation, and not to mention the likely affects of pole shifts over time -- land masses moved around, plus some areas likely rose higher, and some likely sank lower.  And, yes, would think it was much more water vapor in the atmosphere, much more humid.  Here's a brief description of what the world land/sea was like at the time --

"The late Cenomanian represents the highest mean sea-level observed in the Phanerozoic eon, the past six hundred million years (approximately one hundred and fifty meters above present day sea-levels). A corollary is that the highlands were at all time lows, so the landscape on Earth was one of warm broad shallow seas inundating low-lying land areas on the precursors to today's continents. What few lands rose above the waves were made of old mountains and hills, upland plateaus, all much weathered. Tectonic mountain building was minimal and most continents were isolated by large stretches of water. Without highlands to brake winds, the climate would have been windy and waves large, adding to the weathering and fast rate of sediment deposition."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cenomanian

Honored Advisor

WCMO

was just getting around to putting up very simular post about where the land masses might have been at that time. Most land masses have evidence of at least one tropical past including the Arctic.

The majority of the bread basket of this country was a vast relatively shallow sea at one time.

Elevation above current sea level here in my part of southern Iowa averages about 1200 feet.

All the limestone ledges and quarries attest to uplifting of huge areas which would have flooded other areas along with subsidence of others.

Much of the Arctic ocean is only 30 to 60 feet deep and at one time above sea level and also tropical.

One of the youngest mountain ranges is the Tetons . A former fairly flat plains that suddenly changed.  To state that sea levels were higher or lower is relatively nieve. 

The earth has a relatively finite stable water supply. It just flows to the lowest spot when it's in liquid form and can pile up in solid form anywhere where it is below 32°F .

Sea level is dependent on temperature, and the average elevation and square miles of land AND depth of the oceans. All four of these things are in flux all the time. Just extremely slow motion from our point of view time line wise.

Senior Advisor

Interesting.  I just checked my Garmin (in the house, on top of hill), elevation 815 feet.  I've noticed when measuring fields for crop insurance around here that most locations are low to mid 700-some feet, of course subtle changes of 50-100 feet are pretty common around here, sometimes even within a field.  Many years ago, did some measuring in Truman Lake area (due to flooding, fields bordering lake area), was thinking elevations there were mid to upper 400-something, probably similar along Mo River north of here, don't recall.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

On a different subject, filled fuel tanks Fri. Not a great price but livable.

Fuel tankwagon driver did not paint very good financial picture of his customer base.

We are two weeks away from go time here. Thinks some still are going to fold their tent

instead of planting and many others are on last year of their farming career.

I am becoming more pessimistic about a rebound of crop prices due to the tailspin of

the global economy over this electron microscope sized beast. The opportunities in

another year or two for a young farmer are going to be there, might just be hard to see 

with all the negativity that is to come. 

The non farm investors are already Starting to come to the realization that farming is

cyclical and are not getting rent bids that are covering their pmts/expenses especially 

the ones that bought marginal ground and thought it was prime farmland. 

Add that to their stock market losses and the upcoming divorce it will be interesting...

I don't think it will be "different" this time....

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Had a passing thought just within past couple days -- based on potential (lack of) economic returns, what if I just plant the rented ground, and leave my owned ground idle this year, maybe put in some soil-building cover?  Haven't put the pencil to it, but if stays wet, might give it some more thought, since have some terracing, waterways and tile lines that all need some more work, maybe just plant the fields that are in good shape (which are also the best-yielding, best returns).  Smaller farmers like me have some trouble getting outfits to do the work when the bigger farmers are getting those things done, but dozer and tile guys fairly available in mid-late-season.  P&K not going anywhere, don't have NH3 on yet, seed can be returned, enough in bank to pay for things.

Honored Advisor

So Hobby,  by applying my simple monkey wards engineering, It sounds like water is the ballast that keeps us from wobbling like a spitball in orbit?  And allowing the earth to make changes (and maybe absorb a few asteroid hits) while making our annual circle around our energy solar energy supply???

Assuming there is no water generator on board, might water be the eternal control over any organism over populating the earth.... and its pesky friends the viruses?

We can spend a lifetime studdying one piece of the puzzle and never fully figure it out, just to discover it is far more complicated than we first thought.   Life may not be long enough to discover just a few of the things we don't know.

WCMO,  My dad had a good saying.  "Same thing takes every one out of business,  guess what it is (every time)"  No matter what i said, no credit, the world changes, disaster, etc etc ....... He would say "those are out of your control.  What is it you do that takes you out of business"  answer in his question was "Your out of business when you stop producing."   That was his answer to lack of enthusiasm or lack of incentive.... "Tough times are good for making changes so produce something different, but don't stop producing."  "Ground let go back one year takes two to get back in production." ----- I must have been a hard kid to motivate.

He was big on personal responsibility..... "Be man enough to make the tough decisions for yourself, but keep producing with your time and energy"  I think a lot of us are at that spot.   One of my sons is diversifying, Other one is concentrating his production on the crop that has the best market in our area(triming out the riskier crops for this area)......  Both are choosing the path that fits their ground and resources.... God help em,  we all need any help we can get.

Overall in light of this conversation....... I am agervated at my neighbors who are living their lives like its a great opportunity to go on vacation and see a foreign country or a big city(several on "vacation" teachers), with no regard to social distancing and such activity has now brought our small rural community the first 3 new china virus cases in the last 10 days.  One such friend just drove from the Portland Ore. area visiting family to their home in central missouri.  Americans hard at work fighting the virus.

Another thought...... Being shut down.....so to speak, How is that really affecting things?  On a given day in current america, what % of the work force is actually productive?   Or are we all into the cell phone and internet most of our pay hours anyway??     The shortages of grocery stuff.  Was that a sign of shortage or just a sign of no one having anything at home to feed themselves.

So can we stand an extended shutdown or is it close to business as usual for most of us just "showing up" for the hours?

What % of the population actually does anything?

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

SW I'm going to go through the motions of farming and over producing for the market as i precieve it. I am a very low cost producer. 

Got in quite a less than friendly disussion with a retired couple on an eight week globe trotting vacation while on the island of Bora Bora. They had been on a cruise to Antarctica and had been given a speech from someone at the mc murdo research station about how we are all gonna drown in sea level rise.

She was absolutly convinced we needed to stop co2 production. Yet there they were jetting and boating around the world...their next stop was New Zealand. They were from Chicago.

Btw. Been watching weather in Iceland and Longyearbyen.

Iceland has more snow than anytime since I've been watching starting in 2012.

Been snowing and generally blowing last 2 days. Been below freezing most of the time since first of Feb up at Gus's area, Dalvik Iceland. 

Icicle's were on everything here till 11:30 ish yesterday morning.

Already too late for an early spring here...

Betya going to be a challenge to get nh3 done in a timely manner if at all. 

0 Kudos