cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Advisor

Re: Water, sea level rise.

In order to evaluate global warming and sea-level rise, you need to be careful what time scale you're talking about.  For example, 90 million years ago all the water on the planet existed as liquid and there wasn't nearly as much mountain building as present.

On the other hand, as little as 13,000 years ago, enormous quantities of water were tied up as ice over most of the northern hemisphere.  So much so that the seal level then was 400 meters lower than today.  Still today, there is enough water as ice in Greenland and Antarctica to raise the sea-level another 70 meters if it all melted.

The thing is, it took some 13,000 years to melt the first 400 meters of water.  The evidence is clear that at the current and projected rate of melting due to increased carbon dioxide, we'll get that last 70 meter in just a few hundred years. Keep in mind that it's been 300,000 years since the atmospheric CO2 content has been as high as it is now and that increase is entirely due to the carbon that we've released into the atmosphere, that's just a fact.

Now, you can argue about who's to blame all you want but what will be the consequences?  First of all, 70 m of sea-level rise will take you almost to the where the Ohio joins the Mississippi (94 m),  All of Louisiana and much of Mississippi, Arkansas and Alabama will be a shallow sea.  Florida & Delaware will be gone.  The St. Lawerence valley will be flooded almost to Lake Ontario.

Think about it, if we have hard time draining all the water down the Mississippi now, what's going to happen when all that water has to push its way out of the watershed  against the ocean just below St. Louis . It'll take significantly longer, it just will.  The same will apply to the lake plains along the Great Lakes.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

70 meters (about 230 feet) of sea level rise puts you in St. Jude's parking lot in Memphis.

Thank Heaven Elvis is safe.  Graceland is about 30 feet higher.

Elvis bought some beach front property - who knew??

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

I just love the tactic of conflating geological timescales with human ones.

Good propaganda if you can find other people who are bad at math.

Sea level rise- which is happening- isn’t extremely tough math either.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Problem is humans keep delivering the details.   Ever notice how those who think they know deliver theory in such detail?

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Best quote of the day so far...

"USDA has taught us that a half a sandwich in the fridge is somewhere between more than adequate and a burdensome supply.... "  (Rockman)

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Re: Best quote of the day so far...

I never thought i would see the day come.... when the US might be out of food and not know it for a months.  Toilet paper gone but not food ........ yet.

That is not the point..... But there are a lot of farmers and ranchers that are sick of US agriculture and and our politics down to the last usda guess.

I never thought I would see a time when ----- the US consumer doesn't know if he will have food or money to buy it in 6 months, and the US farmer doesn't know if he is going to produce anything..... No incentive to put a seed in the ground in the present mental state.......  Thanks congress,are we green enough for ya yet?  Was it a good idea to let funds play the commodities like a crap table?  Or was it wise to take all profit out of small business?  

And for the young voter out there who have overbearing opinions on things you can't define....... put down the cell phone and write an essay explaining what "factory farming" is!    I am tired of reading young fools tell the world what is right or wrong.  

This is the dilemma we should fear...... the virus may turn out too be the start but not the end to this deal.... get your seed bought gardeners..... Your carrying the ball for the next couple of years.   That is the dilemma we have to fear...

Opinionated ignorance.  Egged on by people who know better.

Glad California is shut down....... no containers on the docks is fine by me.  Maybe they can get china to feed them.

Or just chill with a bottle of wine....... for months and months.

Advisor

Re: Best quote of the day so far...

And even though that half a sandwich is in your fridge it is available to the whole world, right?

0 Kudos