Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

TID BITS

I have been delivering corn to an eplant and beans to

ADM Des Moines, been absolutely dead at the bean plant

The biggest activity there is the two flocks of geese walking around the place.

Today's rain event was a wind event with a little drizzle.

Been pulling ears, a lot of tip back but all but one ear was still 18 rows .

Estimates running 175 up to 242.

50 - 60 mph wind went through Iowa this morning lots of damage.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ic0XaAz26Jg

12 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: TID BITS

Getting reports of lots of damage to corn fields and many grain bins blown apart/away

Lots of power outages.

ADM Des Moines no power.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Wow, have been looking at pictures on bookface. Lots of damage across SE Iowa and Illinois. Elevators, grain bins, hog barns and homes. Hopefully no one was seriously injured. 

Suppose to hit around 12 AM., but looks like its weaking as it comes this way.. really not hurting for water here, we've had a little over 4.5 inches between 7/26 - 8/3

I haven't been out in corn fields since before fungicide treatment, so don't know how fill turn out, but pollination was good. Finished with fungicide/insecticide and some more Johnny juice on soybeans Saturday.

Crop here (backyard) could possibly be one for the books. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=943313&mid=8427607#M8427607

Winds were recorded as high as 113 mph

Some towns may be without power for a week as power lines are so badly damaged.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Lots of corn blown over here in central Iowa. A sure test to see which hybrids stood better. I had two large walnut trees blown over, branches all over the place.  Still no power and my be out for days.  Son's Davis weather instrument recorded top wind gust of 87mph.  We did receive a much needed .67" of rain. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

East central iowa, Poweshiek County, lots of blown down corn and grain bins destroyed. We faired well here at home, minor building damage. Although large portion of the corn is flat and trees down. Powerlines are still down. My newest mobile deer stand is on its side, just need to right it without causing damage!  Deer will have plenty of corn to forage on this year. Good year to harvest corn off the hoof!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Since I am no longer allowed to post pictures all I can do is post links ...

https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=943460&mid=8429023#M8429023

Highlighted
Contributor

Hobby ole buddy - IF you weren't such a a hole then they would probably let you post up pictures ! LOL 

3/4 of an inch and maybe -- 20 mph wind when it got here . 

WOW , what a mess out there , so sorry for everybody that had damage , the year from Hell for sure 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Thanks for the link HobbyMan

So, I did some quick and dirty math off the images you had in the link.  Roughly speaking of course, but I got 38% of the Iowa corn crop showing damage in the pics. Using a pretty normal 100 bu/ac hit on those acres, the following works out:

.38 x 13,500,000 acres x 100 bu = 500,000,000 bu loss in a max case scenario. 

Unfortunately, that is probably about what MO/IN/KY/OH will grow above trend, so the 181 yield is still pretty close.

Or, said another way, carryout is still easily over 2.5 Bil and thus prices don't have to move much, yet... the next 500mil issue would make it very interesting next year.

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Less than half those acres would be corn.

There are roads towns river s some pasture and waste ground so corn bu loss will still be in the millions just a fraction of your number. Jmho

Going to go for an inspection tour in a day or three..

0 Kudos