cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

TID BITS

Some great comments from Jenny on the weather.

"Hi Hobby.

As far as the weather goes, we’ll see. We are coming out of solar minimus....I am actually quite concerned about the amount of heat build up I’m seeing across the US. I’ve not kept as much track, on what’s going on across the globe though, or in the oceans, which is a big part of the global warming quotient.

No reason to plant short season hybrids for the next 10 years though - I know that’s a stretch, but that’s what I would be planning, if still farming.

I do think the South, is going to continue to bake. Watch the Texas panhandle, and the area around that to the North, for dryness. Some of the worst droughts in the US, were foreshadowed by extreme dryness in that area. 

There is major dryness now, just west of the area that I usually watch for Midwest drought prediction. Keep an eye on that area - if it continues dry into the winter, and moves farther East, it could be a bad omen for Midwest rains next year.

The dry area down there right now is impressive.... keep aware of what’s going on down there.

That’s about it for right now."

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: TID BITS

93° forecasted 97° (still a little time) wind to 39mph should help change color on drought monitor map for here.

Orioles seem to have left yesterday.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Ok panhandle at 97 without sunshine until 6pm. Sitting in a cloudy haze today from fires in colo.  mike smith took a few minutes to find the source of our haze——-that heat map from out in the Bay Area looks intense.  

2 days to first frost seems like a stretch but it’s 30 days early and 2020. Last frost this spring was 15 degrees. Wheat took a few days to recover and wasn’t very good at harvest. 

Monday —100 temp. 

Wednesday morning low  33. 

What a year of events.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I was wondering how much rain fell over the weekend in the western corn belt. Thanks 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

1" to 3" NCIA.  A mini derecho by Swea City.  The rain helps a little as beans are mostly green to turning and corn hasn`t black layered yet.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

ZERO CIA.   Up to two inches forecast for the next few days.  Rain coming will help metigate fire hazard, may help a little with any green beans, however the downed corn stalks and ear quality is a concern. Soon ready to roll here.  My brother found an eight row corn reel for the combine from NE.  Hopefully that will help.      

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

2 to 5 inches forecast across much of Iowa next few days. Heaviest band across wind damaged areas. Mud underneath flat crops not a recipe for salvaging much. 2020 the year that keeps giving.

Pastures and hay ground needs the moisture going into dormancy.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Wind what is your guess on bean yields in your area?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Very hard to estimate at this point.  Had less than half the normal rain for June, July and Aug.  So, it will have to be a guess.  40 to 55 bu. per A.  Last year had 66 bu. beans top producers hit 70+ The wild card will be the size of the beans when they hit the grain tank.  If you go west of 169 a few miles they will yield less. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

0.4 in SWMN. We were lookong really good until August heat and dry, still good but that did take a toll.

0 Kudos