cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

TID BITS

The so called "tin can harvest" is in full bloom here.

The probe line is well fed at the Eplant.

Basis is eroding almost daily. -21 ¢ in last week.

At the bean plant there has been a 90¢ loss in basis, it is now at -30¢.

Couple that with the price decreases the bloom is off the rose.

Supposed to rain tonight in this area, as long as it is not excessive there will be a very good harvest potential. Beans could be "special"   in this area this year. The 45 mile trip to the eplant this am had probably 50% of the bean fields showing some degree of lodging. Lots of plant material out there that'll need a drink to finish well.

Did notice a number of bean fields with Browning of some top leaves in areas of the field. Not a good thing.

On a side note been a challenge to get hay to dry in this smoky high humidity weather.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Re: TID BITS

Actions and things one does can and many times should have consequences.

The Starlink thingy.

The Chinese payout.

The pro farmer thing if their yield guessing thing proves to be pie in the sky is equally as damaging as the afor mentioned two things.

Anybody really think the last three days market dip would have happened without the trespassing tour?

They are screwing with our livelihood all for their enrichment. 

Time for some accountability and a payment for damages. Not just the theft of a few ears of corn and a few ripped out bean plants.  

It is nearing 40¢ on corn and at least $1.00  on beans per bu.

Time for a class action lawsuit.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

I`m caught with the old maid card/old crop corn in the bin, not a lot but i could pay my property taxes with the amount.  But that`s the thing this time of year September is dropping to December levels, endusers quietly got physically covered for September and in October that cheap corn they stole a year ago will be delivered.   The door was shutting fast a week ago, ProFarmer or not. 

I`ll tell you what was a joke is that dicamba lawsuit, at the last minute my lawyers wanted more... more... more....more...more and more evidence.  I jumped through one hoop and they had 3 more hoops to jump through.  Every time saying  "Our head honcho lawyer says you have insufficient evidence....send moar! by Tuesday or you`re S,o.L   and thank you for choosing us to represent you".   Bayer and IDALs both saying with documentation that my E3`s got smoked wasn`t apparently enough evidence.  Pictures of my cupped beans retrieved wasn`t enough  "send moar!"   So much for the new pickup    🙂

0 Kudos
rsbs
Veteran Advisor

BA, I am still waiting on the Bayer claim after resubmitting it with the items they requested, which included certified and notarized copies of production, and yields from crop insurance records, as well as historic yields and comparison yields from non affected fields.

I believe I made a pretty clear cut case that the affected fields lagged the historical averages while the comparison, non affected fields were substantially better than average.

I am still holding out hope for $10,000 but anything will be welcome.

Did you get some of last nights thunderbursts?  I need to check the gauges but I guess it was over a half and maybe close to an inch.

0 Kudos
roarintiger1
Honored Advisor

I haven't been to the local eplant for at least a week.  But when I was hauling, it appeared that most of the trucks were coming from Co-ops and other elevators.  

I did clean out a soybean bin this past week and got a pretty decent basis contract for January for those beans about two weeks ago.  I'm sure that deal isn't quite as good today.  

Anyone remember what happened to the corn market last August?  After the market bottomed, (stealing many bushels) the slow climb higher in the market was a surprise to almost everyone. There's no reason that can't happen again. 

One thing about this latest dive in market prices is that it has given the endusers and importers of our grain a great opportunity and more grain can and will get exported off of our shores.  Demand is good.  

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

There is nothing to depress the market.  We needed a good crop and will not get it now that august has shown its ugly side.

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

1 1/4" of rain here.

Unfortunately that was a horizontal measurement between small drops not a vertical measurement.

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Hey Red, north end of county it was .5", south half .7"  Algona got 1.25" .   

Yeah that dicamba suit, maybe i`ll get a check in the mail, I doubt it though, I`d send info and they`d text "we need more!" and they always waited until the last days of the deadline.   At this point, I`ll just be happy as a lark if they don`t send me a "$10,000 BILL" for me wasting their time, something buried in the fine print that i agreed to.  

0 Kudos
rsbs
Veteran Advisor

checked the gauges and it was a low of three tenths and a high of 1.1 inches. All of the soybean ground got close to an inch, and should put on bushels. The corn ground is probably what it is going to be, rain or no rain anyways.

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Today's crop tour.

Gonna be a crop in Iowa.

Hwy 30 from Ogden to Dennison

Some pretty dry spots but 75% of the corn is at least good.

Beans are gonna be all over the map

Lots of issues with many of them. Will still be a combinable event.

Not interested in trading mine for anything I saw 

High light of the trip was stopping at Elkhorn, Iowa this afternoon and touring the made in 1848 Danish windmill that was brought over here in the 1970s. They let you climb up to the outside catwalk and even one story higher inside. Some massive cast iron castings in there.

https://www.danishwindmill.com

Only about a five mile drive north of interstate 80 and $3 admission.

We had lunch in Jefferson , Iowa at the A &W, good sandwich and onion rings with a real A&W root beer float. Mmm mmm

The bell tower on the corner of the courthouse square is well worth the small admission to go to the top and see a 20+ mile view of some of the best of Iowa.

(Just a couple blocks from the food stop)

0 Kudos