cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

TID BITS

Regardless of the calendar fall seems to be here.

The corn is all but golden.

The 3.4 beans are coloring.

The 3.8 beans are just another day or two from that yellowing thing too.

The cockleburrs are in overdrive also.

We've had the heat units this year, been a little short of blue skies

Another Smokey sky day again today.

The Orioles left 4 days ago. The hummers are still here scrapping with each other.

Many years I have had beans not start turning till end of Sept or beginning of Oct.

Have to wonder if fall will come in with a vengeance. 

Had a bearing fail in swather, serial # dependent the updated smaller cast holder and plastic spacer $190 that came up on my #.

Asked to see the one for older machines, bearing only no holder no lock collar.

They said that wouldn't work, everything on the counter, they got a lesson in putting in self aligning bearing in a cast quarter turn holder. Fit perfectly in my cast holder the machine was born with. $114, terribly over priced but better solution than they tried to push over the counter.

Don't take everything at face value. Was odd sized bearing not in stock at big bearing house in des Moines.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Re: TID BITS

Saturday and Sunday just saw a monarch butterfly just once and a while while mowing hag.

Yesterday afternoon there were dozens and dozens.

0 Kudos
Wind
Advisor

I spotted Orion in the southern sky early this morning.  Temp here is 52*.  Still a lot of green in the corn fields but the up-right ears are golden with loose husks.  Our corn crop here will be a-maizing good and that with 7" below normal rain since April 1.  Truly amazing.  My once 4.5' tall beans are now 2.5' but with mediocre pod set. They are turning golden too. Not sure why some beans grew extra tall this year? All that smoke we had this summer?

It is to be 90* this Sat.  We expect to be in the field on the week of the 20th. 

0 Kudos
timetippingpt
Honored Advisor

We'll likely cut beans tomorrow. Huge pod counts, but all flat pods. Who knows, hoping for average at this point. The later beans will be fantastic fwiw. This variety just went into maturity before it rained. It'll still be nice to get 400 acres off before the 12th and get the covers growing in a warm moist soil. Corn probably late next week, get it down to 27 or less before starting I guess.

0 Kudos
Wind
Advisor

Just sampled a 109 day corn a the coop,  31%.  A good two weeks away.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

sw -- we are harvesting some dry land corn on sandy soils ---premature death august heat making 40-50 bpa   ------- had 120 potential early august

drove through some good dry land crops in the satanta-sublete ks area yesterday.  Luck of the draw a rain streak area.  Mostly grain sorghum .

The price bought a lot of grain sorghum acres away from corn this year.  Irrigated also.   

grain sorghum contracted early was in the $7/bu range.

But Basis has reversed here at harvest and grain sorghum is +10 of corn price

Good news is the corn basis is now +45 at coop..... meaning direct sales to lots is above that.

We just won't have the overall corn crop expected.  It is rushing to the finish. (sw region)

0 Kudos