cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

TID BITS

The corn basis is collapsing here. From +$1.48 to now 95¢ at eplant last 3 days.

Cash either side $7 now depending on buyer.

Bean basis did gain 40¢ at bean plant day ago.

South of I-80 in west half of Iowa we are on broil.

This week the grain semis are running all over the place?

Commercials moving grain or guy's cleaning out the gambling bu?

Corn is firing, Sun is hitting the ground between the rows.

Beans are just on hold except on the thin spots where they are graying out.

Just my backyarditts here in South Podunk Country Iowa.

30ish miles north of My Ayr, Iowa

I expect aph at best on corn, less for many, and don't see how it will not be low test wt. (<56)

Beans are a wild card but no rain in the ten day weather guess will seal their fate as a less than mortgage lifter.

My crop adjuster is expecting most to have a claim.

How about your area?

7 Replies
erikjohnson61y
Senior Advisor

Re: TID BITS

Same here Hobby.  Walked some corn today - pollination was pretty good but I estimate 40% of the field will make 50-80, 50% will make 30-50, and 10% will make zero - no ears.  Also no rain in the 10-day.  Almanac said above normal precip in August - call me disappointed!  I need to make 15bu beans and 50bu corn to make my new crop commitments - if we keep getting 1-2"/month I think I'll make 20 bu beans and 60-75 bu corn.  APH's are 165 and 51, so BIG insurance checks likely this year.  I did buy a $7 new crop corn option as a hedge against yields below 50 to cover my new crop sales. Local elevator under new management, and now I fond out they won't let me buy out a contract, so probably will not be doing new crop biz with them in the future, or I would have reduced my commitment at the end of July. Cargill lets you buy out for 15cents plus market difference. Extra 20 miles to Cargill, but a little better price and worth it for the flexibility in years like this one.

3rd cutting alfalfa underway, and only in the low spots. Pastures just about done. Beans holding, waiting... Several corn fields on last years alfalfa ground are already completely dead.

Basis +1.10 on $7.31 cash corn, 0.00 on $14.28 cash beans.

Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

update,

Went for short drive this evening, wow is all I can say.

Things are tanking. About 4 farms down river big field of good looking corn a month ago is high % of no ears visible now. Mostly dead.

Lots of bean fields actually not holding their own.

Looked into one of my corn fields....wife said better get those new stripper plates ordered.

Not even gonna be close to aph.

Nothing sold ahead. 

Adjuster was right we'll meet agin this year.

Closing in on two months of no rain.

Back to the stripper plate thing.

Priced Calmer, CNH, and Shoup (case ih red)

Calmer over $1000 higher than shoup, anybody have experience?

0 Kudos
Wind
Advisor

Very dry here.  Will have shallow kernels and light test weight.  Will most likely make a 100 bu.

Beans very hard to guess.  Walked in neighbors 3.6 bean field and the pods flat as paper. He has 30 bu. A sold, he is worried.  My 2.4 beans have bbs in the pods.  Had very good sub soil moisture by June 1st.  Cool nights and heavy dew maybe helps a little.  I'm at peace.

Very little if any rain forecast for the next 7 days.  I still believe the Iowa crop ratings are over rated.  Just my "backyarditts?"  Time will tell.   Dallas Co IA

Blacksandfarmer
Senior Advisor

I was in your area this week Hobby, I even gave you a call Tuesday. You were probably busy or thought I was a telemarketer 😁. I was on my way to load tomato pomace in Kansas. 

If somebody got on I-80 near Cleveland, OH and drove west to Des Moines, IA they would think the U.S is in for a bumper crop.... but south of I-80 is a much different story in Iowa. It's a shame, that area had good potential... Central Indiana (Times area) gets the award for worst looking crops I've seen this year. 

I ran a couple thousand miles this week, the biggest surprise was how nice and green eastern Kansas was around Topeka. I hadn't been able to see how pretty Kansas can be until this week. I'm used to the barren dusty plains of western Kansas.  

All in all (IMO) the U.S corn crop looks good, but not a record breaker. Beans look like they could set yield records if we could just get a big rain event.  

Hope you get some rain soon.

Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Blacksand

Have new phone and it isn't ringing for a lot of calls.

Doesn't even bing or and anything but light the screen for five seconds.

But text anyway if I remember to look at it once in a while.

Sorry I missed your call. 

0 Kudos
Wind
Advisor

Gauged .56" yesterday, none last night.  Will help the beans way more than the corn.  Thankful.

I walked my corn field yesterday, some will be hard pressed to make 80 and some will make 180.  Soil type make the difference. 

Carry on.

0 Kudos
erikjohnson61y
Senior Advisor

Rains finally returned to SE SD yesterday. An inch and three quarters in a long slow 12-hour rain. Beautiful thing. Never even saw any lightning or heard any thunder. Heard there was street flooding in Yankton, 30 miles east of us, but there was no runoff from the fields here.  I think it will help about 1/3 of my corn - rest is pretty crispy already with short ears (if any at all) on hilltops.  Low ground has well-pollinated full ears. APH is around 165, but I'm thinking my fields will do 80-120 - should be able to finish out what's there now. In the beans, I did the 3-pre thing and then two posts with Liberty and Enlist, but I now have a ton of velvet leaf in one of my bean fields because it didn't canopy in time. Part of me wants to go out and spray to clean it up and make it less embarrassing, and the other part says velvet leaf doesn't really rob yield like water hemp so just let it go this year... 

0 Kudos