cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Taking action on these spammers

Hey, all. So, we'd been trying to manage this spam barrage by hand, deleting and kicking them out without implementing any changes to the system. However, that's just not working anymore. 

So, I contacted our developers about implementing a "CAPTCHA" during registration. That's one of those deals where you have to type in a series of random numbers and letters in order to get access to the system. It sounds like it's going to be only for new member registrations, so it shouldn't change your experience here. There's a chance you may have to enter one the next time you log in, but it shouldn't be permanent. It should help keep the spammers from being able to register and screw up everybody else's experience here!

I'll stay in touch with our developers -- I'm hoping we can get this pulled off today. I will definitely let everybody know when it's in place. So, hopefully this will do what we need it to. 

Please accept the apologies of myself and everyone on our staff for this, and I appreciate your continued patience. Rest assured, everyone, that I'm working to fix the problem. I'm too darned stubborn to let it go! Ha!

Hey, hope everybody's stayin' warm this morning! As always, if anybody has any questions or anything, please let me know!

Jeff

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Veteran Contributor

Re: Taking action on these spammers

Thank you.

I am no expert, I don't even play one on TV, but it sounds to me like it will help, but I was kinda hoping for something a little more violent. You know like putting together a posse, tracking them down, and having a good ol' fashioned hangin'. But I suppose this is a better option, especially since it is Christmas time and all. Too cold in this neck of the woods right now to form a posse anyway.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

They got your message Jeff ---------------- back already

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I know these guys can take care of your problem,    http://grassroots-tech.com  just don't talk dairy farming with the one named Bob. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Thanks for working on this Jeff.  It has to be incredibly frustrating for you guys to have to fight this crap day in and day out.  Good luck.  Now, could you do something about the Machine Finder pop ups that keep coming up when coming to this site?  I realize they are an advertiser paying you good money to promote their services but I really don't think they are helping themselves.  I don't know that I would ever have utilized Machine Finder but I definitely won't now.  Any company that annoys me with their ads is automatically out of consideration for ever getting any of my businesses.  Ads on the radio that do nothing but bombard you four or five times with a phone number over and over will cause me to never patronize that business as well.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I recommend that you hire the Obama web team. It only has a few cliches and would be far more superior than yours at this time......(sarcasm)

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I'm thinking more on the lines of a friend of mine and his Buddy that were a sniper team in Afghanistan

Would be a surefire solution with the added benefit that the dude/dudette would not be a repeat offender
Senior Contributor

Give em hell Jeff. It's not your fault that they have nothing better to do. I personally prefer Hooby's idea. I have a few friends that were in the same occupation. One was actually a trainer for others Smiley Wink
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I'm with you too Hobbyfarmer, but NOW I better NOT call you, with all the tracking by NSA...well, they need to be kept busy too.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

The college thesis is probably being written as we type.

"What I did on my Christmas break" ------------------ Tormented a guy named Jeff with spam.  Smiley Happy

0 Kudos