cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Tariffs US style!

Walked into a big box store that sells lots of do-dads that make a house a home like things to set on a coffee table, pictures to hang on a wall, cheap furniture, and believe me the only thing thats cheap was the price! As i was walking thru every so often i could overhear people saying its not as cheap as it was 6 months ago. Another lady said the same thing while waiting to check out. Looks like the tariffs are working only the consumer is paying more not china.

12 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: Tariffs US style!

247   -   been  hearing  some  of  that  also -  while  the  headline  today  stating  the  '' richest 500 ''   lost   ''  117  Billion '' - 

Thoughts  and  Prayers  might  be  in  store   -  or  - ?  

Senior Contributor

too funny!  prayers are in order! not sure how i would take a $117 billion loss but im sure i could live well on one days interest for the rest of my days!

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Buy American!!!

Veteran Advisor

25  years  ago  -  buy  American  -  US  manufacturing  moved  off  shore to  cuddle  to  stock holders ,  via their  own CEO  decisions -  -  -

Does  Vice  Grip  ring  a  bell  - ?   

Veteran Advisor

Yet, wasn't much of the movement offshore to reportedly save on labor costs?  Then what happened to CEO and upper management salaries/benefits?  Plus, many of the low-value items had manufacturing that shifted elsewhere, probably had more to do with tax rates, incentives, "hiding" profits, and strong price competition from foreign manufacturers.

Plus, never forget the impact of the relative value of the US dollar -- stronger dollar, cheaper imports, less exports -- weaker dollar, more expensive imports, more exports.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Trump puts a 10% tariff on China they put a full out embargo on us. Classic case of half stepping.  If you whack a beehive with a stick plan on getting stung. I'm not sure who is winning this trade war. But we are so dumb that we keep right on buying their stuff.  While they go to Brazil to buy soybeans that just happen to have 3-4% more protein than our US beans. (don't ask me why theirs test out at 37%+- and ours are 34%)  But you say Brazil beans cost $20 per ton more. If you are buying for protein is 10% more protein per ton worth $20 more?  China may think so.

The question is why haven't they been buying all their beans from Brazil? Mostly because Brazil has been lacking in infrastructure. But China is "helping" them fix that problem with a new railroad.  That should not be a problem for China  remember the Transcontinental Railroad we had to get Chinese in to build it through the Rockies.  Plus they did build a wall that puts Trumps Micky Mouse feeble attempt at wall building to shame.

To put it simply we went in with no plan, no goals, and no understanding of China. Its no wonder we are getting our buts kicked. 

Just a prediction the China export soybean market is gone forever.  We may get a few crumbs from time to time but no real trade numbers. Time to look for buyers someplace else or stop planting beans. 

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Make no mistake the consumer pays for the tariffs,  not China.  Every so often for several decades someone thinks they will fix the in-balance of trade with low labor countries with tariffs.  Has not worked yet for the working person.  The economy now has to have lower interest rates to try and stall off a recession.  Low interest rates hurts seniors.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

If you are in the richest 500 I think you will survive pretty well still.  Better than 50% of this country.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

China (for the time being) is a low wage country.  However what makes them different is they also need what we (their number one customer) sells.  Trade should be reciprocal (that is if we were dealing with a rational country) .  Any fair and rational person would say that beings as we are number one in buying Walmart junk, China should exclusively buy pork and soybeans from us.  

It is probably a pipe dream that us the biggest dog on the block would ever have a neutral balance of trade with a country that`s has a labor source willing to work for $2/hr and dump factory waste in their rivers.  But to say China should only buy pork and soybeans exclusively from us is not making an unreasonable request.