cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Thanksgiving on the Farm

I`m thankful every day that I`m a farmer.  Farming always has had struggles and probably always will, it`s just a matter of living in harmony with nature and markets, as long as the bills get paid and you make it to next year.  We`ve been blessed with good markets and if you sold too early this time, you can lock in profitable prices for next year.

I`m probably in the generation where I`ll be the the last farmer, unless my kids have a midlife crisis and comeback, ala Oliver Douglass Green Acres  🙂  But what a opportunity I`ve had, my Grandpa was young when the Wright brothers flew and lived to see a man walk on the Moon, all in his lifetime!  

I grew up with stories of farming with horses and neighborhood threshing, hogs, picking corn by hand in a triple box, milking cows, butchering chickens, selling eggs.  

I picked corn with a 2-MH picker mounted on a M and a 234 picker on a 560 and we shelled corn out of a crib with a 1200 Minneapolis-Moline sheller.  I`ve combined beans with everything between a Model 30 John Deere pull-type 2  38" rows at a time...a 50 acre field looks mighty big and the unloading auger is too short to fill a 200 bushel Parker box. 

We would pick corn usually into December, check the muskrat traps along the way.  But get home from school and trudge through snow in the dark "crunch crunch crunch" and that ol` M with the 6 volt "rur ...rur.....rur"  by God she`d always start above 0.  

Those were some of the best times of my life, cooked coffee, sandwiches, cookies, the cakes Mom would make, listening to Dad`s stories. 

I hear people say "Man, 2020 sucked! can`t wait to start a new year!"   No, don`t wish your life away This is the day that the Lord has made, rejoice in it ...Spread the Good News!   Thanks be to God!

21 Replies
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Re: Thanksgiving on the Farm

BA you are right.

No particular hurry for this year to end.

At my age I'm apparently losing a half step a year.

Having a great year. 

No hurry for income tax season.

Was at treasurer getting licence plate stickers and new (to me) semi tractor titled etc. Didn't need the extra $85 Nov charge for tonage on it so will get to make another trip there next week.

Napa store is just across street, will probably be going there anyway.

Grandma clerk said next life I should live in town to shorten the trip. Told her It'd take more that that to get me to want to live in town.

in the reminiscing dept:

I had the privilege of 8 years of a one room country school.

Big tractors were two M farmalls

I got to run the 8N fords and the B jd.

You havent lived till you've run one of those on a #5 jd mower and run a dump rake behind the B.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Hey Hobbyfarmer, oh yeah I`ve lived  🙂 we had 2  H`s with No. 5 mowers on the drawbar, the one had a M&W hand clutch, but no live hydraulic or pto, it took skillz to mow hay.  What was "fun" was wet gopher mounds, that would make a preacher cuss 🙂   But Dad and I would rake hay pulling each a couple New Idea rakes hooked together.  Then we baled with a Oliver 50, then a Oliver 62T, then a Massey no. 12, then a JD 14T...then I got smart and bought a round baler   🙂   Dad was actually ticked off, but I was sick of making hay all summer one cutting after another to say nothing of cultivating.

Plowing Dad and I each had a McCormick W-9 and a 60 and 70  4  16" plow  oh them damn things would plug on stalks.  today planting 36,000, I don`t know how you`d handle stalks  with 16" bottoms.   But I like them W-9`s you put the wheel in the furrow and if the lays were good on plow, it was like auto-steer didn`t touch a thing til the headlands. 

Young people probably don`t know what a stalk rake is, but even after discing stalks you needed one of these to plow.

plow spider rake? - Yesterday's Tractors

0 Kudos
lsc76cat
Senior Advisor

Picker mounted on an F20 Farmall - that was a loud job.

Sickle mower mounted on the B and pulled a conditioner. (suicide clutch)

Kept a stick handy to clean dirt out of the sickle from the gopher mounds.

Didn't plant beans, needed all the acres for oats, wheat, alfalfa, silage and ear corn.

Shoveled the ear corn into hammer-mill and changed screens for cow/hog feed.

Boys on the football team didn't need to spend any time in the weight room.

Round baler, skid steer and bulk tank with step saver were the best things dad ever bought.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

I was not a fan of the F-20 and F-30`s, sat with you butt way back in the seat, seems to me if that seat broke you could roll right off and get diced up.  Then you had to push the clutch way ahead...you were about in the prone position changing gears 🙂  

On the mounted cornpickers i remember we had a old fishing pole to keep the stalks off the muffler.  It was nice about the older tractors being able to stand most of the time since they didn`t have cabs.

0 Kudos
ddtfarm1
Veteran Contributor

My goodness! How old are you guys??

WCMO
Senior Advisor

Not sayin' we did, but you're thinkin' we're old enough to have voted for Biden?

gurly3801539
Advisor

Ah those were the days my friends............. Dad had a 2-MH on an M also. I was running that when I was 11  years old, Ralph Nader woulda had a cow. I can't remember the model number but I started combining beans with a Case pull type two row combine. We had made a hitch and pulled a hoist wagon off the side of the combine, dumping on the go back in the 60s.  Good old canvass heat housers to keep us warm plowing with the M and Super M and and old IH trip plows that unhooked when you hit a rock. We've really gotten lazySmiley Wink

Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Whole lot of those things i only wamt to see In museum's or fence rows..

Aa far as age thing i will only speak for myself... Just slightly younger than dirt...

gurly3801539
Advisor

Well, I'm so old back when I was in school we didn't have history class, we just sat around 4th hour waiting for something to happen to learn about.

0 Kudos