cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: The Big Trap

Since this site was esstablished in the mid '90s, the discussion of the Big Picture was in Farm Business.  It took both a micro and a macro view of farming.

Up until about 2 years ago, Marketing Talk was primarily related to producers selling grain.  We talkd about the crop in the bin, the crop in the field and the crop in the bag.

In the last couple of years, the membership and tone of this site has changed.  The Marketing Forum started getting a lot more political and management discussions, way beyond the scope of producer selling.  People are getting lazy and refuse to take discussions to the appropriate forum.  So, they say everything they want to say in Markting Forum because it has the mose activity.

As a result, we see fewer of the old timers here.  The quality of discussion on selling grains has gone in the tank.  It's all about polticis, the farm bill, the Black Swan and every other thing that has nothing to do with how yo uset your price of gtrain.  Consequently, Marketing Forum is much less useful to the serious producer.  It's turning into a coffee shop, a chat room.  My question was not expected to get any restult other than what it did - how's the waather and pass the politics, please.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Well a couple things Jim, Orthel wasn`t talking about politics only the repercussions of this runaway deficit spending(both parties are guilty) and how if interest rates go back to a historical norm, the obvious problems that would entail.  The truth is markets (what we receive for grain) has everything to do with politics these days.  If a political party is against ethanol and they win at the ballot box....guess what?  The salad days of these high prices are gone.   If a "protectionist" like me got in office grain exports would take a hit, but in fairness, we`d have manufacturing jobs back to replace the "Dollar General clerking jobs"  and families could afford to have steak a couple times a week.  You can`t hide from politics these days, if someone made a post about "gay marriage tanking the soybean meal market"  then maybe you`d have a point. Smiley Happy 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

BA & Jim:

I'll raise my hand on the adulteration of this forum.

I put stuff up here all the time that really doesn't belong here OR in any

other thread on this BOARD.

Maybe a little lobbying by a few of you old timers

can get us a "coffee shop" or "lounge" maybe just an "off topic" area.

Til then ... enjoy, or at least a show of hands of who wants me (And a few others) to stop

and who wants it to continue as is.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Keep doing what you`re doing Hobby, I enjoy everything you write, I`m no one`s boss Smiley Happy

I think before getting too ridged on what has to be posted where, that could kill the site and drive people away.  Sometimes you learn the most when you go "off topic" I know some of the best teachers I ever had taught the lesson without you even knowing that you were in a class.

The only things I don`t like is personal attacks, of course I`m such a stinker, that only provokes me to  have fun harassing them back.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Hobby...agree with BAD.....keep doing what you've been doing !!

Also agree on "Coffee Shop".     John

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

I will tell you how this thread relates to marketing.

We all wish we could market bad advice as well as the federal government does.

0 Kudos