cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

The Last 30 hours

In the last 30 hours I put on 875 miles from South Podunk country to NW Kansas and back.

From here to Omaha, need a rain, brown in a lot of pastures and yards. Crops showing hot spots.

Omaha to Lincoln from dry to looks OK. From Lincoln west to Kearney, green yards and not all circles running. The interstate medians are green, the pastures are green and not too many circle corners are lost yet. They look better than average.

Holdredge, Ne south, noticeably dryer but have obviously gotten rain in the last couple of weeks. South of Alma, NE most of the dryland corn got about 3 to 4 ft high and pinappled.

Nebraska has a great crop coming.

Went down to give last rites to my corn out there before the swather starts running this evening. Milo out west has a good chance of being above average (with more rain and a average to late frost).

SW Iowa is looseing bushels every day it doesn't rain. Came home to a mostly brown yard.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: The Last 30 hours

Hey Hobby, PM me sometime when you come back down this way.  I'm only 1-1/2 -2 hours away from your Kansas area and would gladly run up to meet you for lunch sometime, especially if your buying.   Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Counting chickens before they are hatched,,,,,,,,,,,,,,all in USDA style

I think we are counting to many bushels to fast.  This corn crop was planting behind schedule and yes the rains did help if you got lucky to get one.   Dad has a farm 17 miles south of our main acres and they have missed most of the rain.  Only good news is that it got planted sooner since it was drier.   Still below average crop.   We might squeeze out an average crop at home on the corn.  My grandmas ground SW of us 40 miles haven't gotten to much rain and they need it on that tougher ground.    We need a good inch or better to finish off both the beans and corn.   We still row our beans but the guys that have 15 inch rows are showing drought stress.   

Still hoping for some another cutting of hay.   

I think the trade has gotten WAY WAY ahead of itself on this corn crop.  Might be a good one but not a great one.    Not sub $4 corn crop. 

End users stop smiling and laughing so much at the "cheap corn" and get yourself some coverage,,,,It might not rally to much before harvest but it could be a long winter again.    

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: Counting chickens before they are hatched,,,,,,,,,,,,,,all in USDA style

The trade was way ahead of itself back in March.

Many have been wondering what will happen with corn back in the $3.00 range.....We are about to find out..

Corn planting will not be "in style" next year.  Corn acres are gonna disappear.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

RT--are you that bearish now to think it could go into the $3 range?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Counting chickens before they are hatched,,,,,,,,,,,,,,all in USDA style

Just thought i would comment on your post roaring.

I decided last May or so that 2014 would not be a good year to grow corn and made a deal with the dairy farm next door to rent out a farm for them to plant alfalfa in after my wheat was harvested.

It would normally follow my rotation into corn next year but I will now have less corn in 2014.

Decision made alfalfa to be planted any day now.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

I think we will see a 3 before the end of the year. Yes there are problems but look at the world crop reports and it is good. Heck last I checked the A.com survey was almost 80% good to excellent. IMHO prices continue to slide barring that early F word!
0 Kudos