cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Advisor

Re: The Rawleigh man and Marketing

Thanks for the plug SW. I do have a few bushels of storage, but my problem is having personnel in place at harvest time to use it.
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Shaggy: I'm a one man band.

Personnel to use your own storage?

I don't have the personnel to not use my storage.

No down time going to town 

No down time waiting in line

No down time waiting for them to be open.

I'm always first in line, the facility is always open when I get there 24/7.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

I understand Hobby, but most times I've only got a 2 day window to get some harvesting done and if that's gone I've got another 7 day wait until my next couple of days. I've got to have my vacation scheduled well in advance, trying to time that with a Central Kansas harvest would be a small miracle. Generally waits at the elevator are minimal with the updates they've done the past few years. I've got qualified people to drive trucks, but I wouldn't want them to operate a PTO auger. The $ I spend on storage is usually rather minimal and I would rather spend it then place an unqualified individual in a dangerous situation, and I consider an auger to be classified as highly dangerous to the inexperienced. Just because I don't use storage today doesn't mean I won't use it tomorrow.
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Might be time to update Auger(s)?

Of course raising a crop would be nice first.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

I agree with you. I'm using to same one we were using 30 years ago. I'm probably just trying to keep finding an excuse as to why I'm not utilizing my own storage (15,000 bushels total), but I bet there are less than 5% of the farmers around my area that even have on farm storage. And of those 5%, I can't think of a single person that uses it for marketing reasons. Mostly gets used to store milo in the fall to be removed and mixed for grain in a livestock ration throughout the winter cattle feeding season.

Gives my an idea, I'll take a few pictures of some neighborhood on farm storage facilities, but first I've got to remember where they are. Might only be posting pictures of my own.
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

grain through cattle ----- that's a marketing plan that pencils out real good right now.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Only if you've already got the cattle SW. It's gonna hurt the next few days when I bring the first of mine to the farm.
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

cattle through the lot on full hedge are making $50 per head but I have heard cattle coming out now with no protection are occasionally crowding $500.  No verification just tailgate talk.

Just saw killers bringing 1250 that were bought last fall for the same price as P-3's and their calves sold for $1100 at 500 lb.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Shaggy and sw--keep up the good work as I am enjoying your posts.
0 Kudos