cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Advisor

Re: The big Sucking Sound is the eastern belt bean crop going down the drain.

Welcome to my world since early may
0 Kudos
Esteemed Advisor

MT...how is the crop holding on through this heat? Our corn that was puke yellow and then recovered to a real nice green, short and all, but green, tipped back about 50% of the cob, yield in those areaa around 75 intstead of a more normal 175. Is this similar with what you saw in some of your early corn? TIA

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Time , When did u apply N on corn this year?
We came in after the floods and applied another 60 lbs. Greened up some areas, some remained puke yellow though. This was after 150 preplant.
0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

last two weeks corn has given up the ghost

plant flat ran out of everything

disease is crazy

plants dieing from top down, just like it did in 2010

I will start into some early corn next week, see what it does, but I am not expecting much.  There will be good stuff on the ridge but the side seeps and bottoms will be junk.  ears tipped down last week, so expecting it to be 18%, maybe drier

some guys have started south of me, yields are not there

reality of this crop wont smack people in the face till its hauled in.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Advisor

ih, we always sidedress with an exactrix setup that injects Nh3 and Thiosol together at high pressure. These fields were sidedressed in mid/late June after the initial floods. Tissue test says they are not deficient N, but they are toxic in lots of things, Cp and Al for example which we never see.  (basically with no root structure the plant is just completely out of balance.).

We are also variable rating the N, so from 100# in low yield areas, to 200# actual in the high yield areas. Both on top of 30# actual on planter, plus bean credits, plus cover crop capture/release.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I went to the HCOP show at Rantoul and took off afterwards for a loop through some of northwest IN and back through Illinois further north.  Some of your beans over there look better than here.  Corn all over the board.  Corn is dying way too fast here if you track the silking dates and GDUs, but the NCLB and other disease I saw out there was astounding, including some I stepped in that had definitely been sprayed with a ground rig after silking.  It's going to be very interesting to see if ear weights get adjusted in the next USDA report.  

0 Kudos