cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Advisor

The big Sucking Sound is the eastern belt bean crop going down the drain.

Not wanting to be the bearer of bad news for all those commodity bears in Chicago, but the bean crop east of the MS river is sucking wind in a big way. A fair yield for IN/OH might be closer to 2003 or 2012 than anyone wants to admit. Becoming the real deal flash drought after the wettest June/July in history.

Of course, we don't matter I guess, but we do matter more in beans than we do in corn.

15 Replies
Advisor

Re: The big Sucking Sound is the eastern belt bean crop going down the drain.

No kidding time! The beans look like they are dying instead of getting ripe. 

0 Kudos
Advisor

It is happening in the western belt too. We have patching brown spots in the field and the corn is dying early. It will be a good crop but not enough to make up for the bad areas.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Re: The big Sucking Sound is draino when

the el nino takes SA down the drain this winter. problem becomes, there's not enough drains to get rid of the tubs of h2o
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

There is SDS out there and the beans seem to be turning a little sooner than my Labor Day "yardstick".  On the hills looking at a field there are spots that are yellow as mustard, the nitrogen definitely took a hike.  Level areas look good and green though, now 2-3" of rain.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Bucks right
Seeing it in some sandier irrigation
Premature death in corn.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

We were fortunate to have received about 3" or rain in the first two and a half weeks of August after having only a couple of inches in July.  If we had not had the rain earlier this month things would look pretty ugly here right now.  The bean crop as a whole looks pretty good here with those rains from the last few weeks really helping out.  A rain this weekend would still benefit some of the real late beans.  The corn is made as far as moisture but the bigger concern is disease.  I am seeing way too many cornfields that are fading away with disease and nitrogen deficiency.  Don't get me wrong the corn around here will be average to maybe a little above but nothing like the last couple of years.  Now I should mention that the rain we got was pretty isolated.  Like about three townships.  So there are plenty of areas around me that are losing bushels by the day.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Made a quick trip to a funeral in south central PA. on Tues.  Very dry-they have been chopping corn for two weeks and now getting almost too dry to chop.  Early beans are dying and will not yield much at all. Lots a dairy farms in the area so options for drought stricken crops are greater.  Beans look great here other than the miner concerns BA stated.  About half an inch of rain this morning.   

0 Kudos
Contributor

My corn looks like it will turn out pretty decent. Split N application payed off this year.

Beans not so much. Rained so much in late June early July, they just stood still. Now it's turned off dry right during pod fill. Not a good combination. Wilting down harder by the day.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Flooding now in central IA.  Crops are not home yet.

http://www.kcci.com/weather/heavy-rain-causing-flash-flooding-in-parts-of-iowa/34975070

0 Kudos