cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Advisor

The marketing question after the report

Regardless of the reaction to the government report by traders, as producers, did you or your neighbors sell during the upheavel? Serious question.

A question was, will China buy? Of course they will buy. That's what they do.
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: The marketing question after the report

Unless someone volunteers that information, it`s hard to know if any money is changing hands.  I can say that locally there was more actual grain movement before the report, such as grain vacs humming and trucks going down the road.  But that`s all anecdotal, who knows if they actually pulled the trigger on that corn that was hauled, who knows if corn that moved hadn`t been contracted months ago or trucks moving now are only delivering contracted corn. 

I can say that the local elevator added 3¢ to their basis.  My feeling is, farmers have a 'war chest" and don`t need the money, if they do money is cheap at the bank.  They have been screwed so many times by "reports" that get "revised" later that they are taking this in stride.  The Chinese and endusers may find it easy to buy paper bushels on the cheap, but getting physical product is more of a challenge.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Well Pal , For myself - NO and don't know about neighbors , but the local elevator lot is and -- has been a ghost town for a good while -- No farmers to BS with there !

We have been short corn here the last 2 falls - I really wonder IF there is any corn here to haul , Alot went straight to town last fall , nobody whated to chance it storing it .

Hey BA -- what state are you in ?

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Iowa, I can see Minne-sot-ahh from my deck Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Dang BA --- Sorry to hear about your luck -- hav'n' to look at Minny -so--- Duh   -- Man O Man If corn would have went the other way -- You could be looking from your desk at the Sunny beach ! LOL

Be safe

0 Kudos
Advisor

Pal--- i was told that sales were "brisk" previous to the report with our local price going to the 7.5-7.60 range. I sold about  10,000, myself. Sales have been nonp-existant since usda's findings were announced. I'd guess that any runup near that range will bring more sales. BA is correct. The income from these sales, in many cases , is being deferred to '14 so farmers are  not  in a hurry to sell. we'll see. Odd weather here, too. VERY dry for april and cold enough that any field work is not possiblle. May 1 is approaching at the same rate as always.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

I sold my 2012 bushes long ago. Every bushel is $ in my pocket and I know what kind of hard work it takes to get it in the bin. No gambling stock for me, guess that's a new one for me.

2013, oh hell no, haven't sold a single bushel. Drought hasn't broken and when the seed is still in the bag there is no guarantee.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

my local coop told me they had a couple of 100,000 bushel days of buying corn prior to the report.   Those guys are really smart.....

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I'm sure those bushels were probably hedged and somebody else was left holding the bag......er... a...  bushels.   Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

ahead a little

during-------------- no

0 Kudos