cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
roarintiger1
Honored Advisor

The markets

So…..The rumor last week was that Russia was discussing opening safe transport of ships of grain out of Ukraine. The markets sold off hard on this rumor. 
I just saw news today that Russia has bombed a Cargill facility somewhere in Ukraine. I guess that facility was not safe. 
It certainly appears to me that this sell off was premature. The world needs food. I still maintain that we will have higher highs on down the road.

Time will tell. But that’s my story and I’m sticking to it. 

0 Kudos
14 Replies
rsbs
Senior Advisor

Re: The markets

What are crops looking like in the rest of the cornbelt? Here in MN, there is going to be a sub-trendline yield unless my eyes and brain are lying to me. Late planting, cold days, wet weather....not setting up stellar yields.

I just finished most of the soybeans....June 5th, and they are not very far behind the first planted soybeans in this area. I have noticed a few early planted corn fields starting to take off though.

$8 corn and $20 soybeans would seem to be the floor, not the ceiling. Maybe the rest of the corn belt is thriving.

Wind
Advisor

ribs,  we are in the same boat here in central IA as you are in MN.  Some corn planted in April, most planted after May 11.

Corn and beans are way behind most years-cool-wet- and lack of sunshine.  Some late planted beans are just coming up.

Last evening slow moving heaving rain producing storms rumbled through dropping 1.5 to 4 inches of rain.  Lots of ponding in fields.   

I did sell some new crop corn for $7.  I will set on the side lines for the rest.  What will our input cost be for next years crop and can we even secure them?  Lots of questions going forward but we must.

roarintiger1
Honored Advisor

Here in my neck of the woods guys are finishing up planting and doing some replanting. Except some areas that got dumped on last week. Some of those guys have a ways to go yet. It’s far from ideal here in NW Ohio……but then again, it rarely is. 

0 Kudos
dwillinois
Senior Contributor

In central Illinois its a mixed bag cold weather late planting and dry profile have our crops behind re planted beans just emerging will need a near perfect growing season to get trend line, lots of uneven stands in both crops.

Not much side dressing going on as compared to years past 

Not killing the crop just has many miles to go

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Quite a ways away from perfect here.

Bottoms and side hills have wet spots at random to deal with.

BTO that rents bottom next to me deep ripped it last fall.

They Tried spraying it few days ago, made some impressive ruts and gave up.

Only .11 here last evening, 

Been drilling beans, was hoping for a half inch.

I'm down to one field left, but it needs the full tillage treatment.

First planted beans are up and pretty. 

Some corn in area will be close to knee high by week end. (Not mine)

Mostly planted in this area.

Past time for me to get at it...

0 Kudos
cborman11
Senior Contributor

If any of you believe the usda crop rating report I own Hawaii and it's for sale.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

The beltway ag department never sets foot in the corn belt.  
hocus locus pocus leadership

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

https://heartlandfarmpartnersinfo.com/12028-2/

Anybody-everybody tired of these posts?

I don't listen everyday myself and DO NOT let them market even one bushel. 

But I like his delievery...prospective.

Got 1/4" about noon, got tillage not quite half done on last field.

Just took on farm about two weeks ago, fields were in rough condition. Will be in better shape next year. The squirrel tail sod in one area was atrocious. Was working on sixth pass with the disc when an original lift cylinder hose retired.

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Today's market action brought to mind the camel races up in the arcade section of Circus Circus in Vegas.

Eplant had $8 JUNE July bid for a while this forenoon.

0 Kudos