cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wind
Advisor

The "have and the have not's"

It looks like another "RIBBON" of rain, some rather heavy, fell from E NB through NW IA.  Count your blessings if you have been receiving rain for a lot of the corn belt is getting very dry.  .43" of rain here in C IA for the past 22 days.  Very warm and windy too.

Much cooler and a little rain for the coming week.  A lot of rain will have to start falling to fill in those dry spots.  A dry weather market coming this week?  

Take care

Wind

0 Kudos
17 Replies
dennymal
Veteran Contributor

Re: The "have and the have not's"

NC Iowa/ from 9 tenths to 2.2 inches depending on location of farm

0 Kudos
nwiafmr
Frequent Contributor

Nearly 10 inches of rain in a little more than a week for me.   Eastern Nebraska had 4 to 5 inches of rain in places overnight on already saturated soils and a lot of hail.   Northwest Iowa had nearly that amount in places, lots of flood warnings in forecasts.   More rain forecast for Wednesday through Friday.....lots of ponding and wet spots in fields.

0 Kudos
arnfarm735
Senior Contributor

We had 1.09 overnight here on our farm in EC Nebr.

0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

I'm on the edge of the rains.  To the West of us, it is getting quite dry.  In fact, the Lexington radio station has been advertising some cattle sales, with the xxx ranch selling so and so many cows, with calves at side, due to drought (I assume from farther West than Lex).  Meanwhile, we went to a relative's graduation over East (about straight North of Omaha) and there were more problems with too much rain, such as erosion and ponding.  We have been getting 'just enough' rains, 'just in time' before anything gets stressed, but I'd say the subsoil profile is below average, but not depleted as of yet.  We are so much on the edge, that my sister who lives less than 20 miles West sees pivots running around there place, and my dad who lives about 15 miles East, says no one is irrigating, and the guys in that area are wishing for a little break, so they can get alfalfa put up without it being rained on several times.

Last week, we had a total of 3/4 inch.  Sister got under 1/4, dad had about 2

0 Kudos
NW IA
Frequent Contributor

We are in an ideal spot here.  5.75" for the month of May with 3.3" coming in the last 4 to 5 days.  We have some ponding but not much yet.  The weeds are starting to be an issue as we would like to spray but it is either raining or blowing 50 mph.  We have had some damage in our area from the wind blowing constantly, cutting off corn and soybeans.  We have a 50/60% chance of rain again for Wednesday.

0 Kudos
farsider
Senior Contributor

Just to the east of the heavy rain path in south central Mn, we are in good shape with little ponding. That streak went through almost identical to the last big rains. Not to far to the east of us would probably like a bit more then they are getting. Like to see the accumulated totals for the last week, some areas must be sitting on 2-3 months worth of rain.
0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Dirt on the move in Rooks co KS, It was worse the day before

dirt on the move.jpg

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Re: Dirt on the move in Rooks co KS, It was worse the day before

Still practicing with the picture posts here.

Many of the freshly planted soys in some fields are laying with no dirt covering them, just little ribbons of beans in the open slot.

This area got 3 tenths of an inch of rain and some marble to golf ball sized hail yesterday evening.

Notice the brownness of the grass in the ditches. It is still May and the pastures are giving it up.

0 Kudos
steeringwheelholder
Senior Contributor

We have had about 2.5" since early to mid April planting.  Of that, about .9" has come in May.  My neighbor who was going to be wise and wait it out to avoid frost damage has all his crops in now.  50% of each field came up, because the rest of the seeds are laying in dry dirt.  It is currently 96 degrees and dust devils are swirling in knee high corn.   

0 Kudos