cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Re: Dirt on the move in Rooks co KS, It was worse the day before

Hey hobby,      thanks for the pic.

I'm pretty sure some of that dust started a long way south of there.  That was a nasty weekend.

Had a sprinkler pivot lay over saturday morning-----waited til sunday to touch it because of the high winds.  Just got it up sunday afternoon and the 40+mph stuff hit again.  

We will have a few corn fields in the area replanted after the sand--burn off. 

Today --Memorial Day--is beautiful.  Calm 20 degrees cooler at 85.

Haven't seen a year without measureable rain in May but 3 more days might give us a record.  I thought we set all the records last year, but I was wrong again.

Otherwise there are some nice corn fields in the area and there are some with issues.  Lots of coc with bad volunteer issues.

Monsanto rep told us at a field day two years ago that all that volunteer is a yield enhancement.  I about choked on my free sandwich.

0 Kudos
NateWCMN
Frequent Contributor

Re: The "have and the have not's"

On the west edge of the heavy rain path in WCMN over the last week.  4.22" in Alexandria from the 20th through 27th per the NWS, 3.15" in our gauge 12 mi NW of Alexandria over the same time.  Totals drop off fast heading west.  We've had some really intense storms this May with erosion occuring in areas where it normally wouldn't.

0 Kudos
too close for comfort
Senior Contributor

Hi Hobby: Do a lot of farmers still work their ground down there or is that blowing off no-till?

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

A little bit of everything. The notill into bean ground was really moving, but even no till in 50 to 60mph wind was moving whereever it was bare or disturbed...such as the planter/drill slot.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

I'll vouch for Hobby.  Saturday I saw corn stalks in the air.  there were gusts recorded over 70 in a few places.  And over a pretty big area for several hours-----we are 150 miles south of Rooks county and were sending a lot of energy that way.  Lots of sandblasted corn is pretty puckered up today.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

To answer the tillage question.  Notil and strip til have saved the sw the last 2 years.  It would be "dust bowl" ugly if we weren't holding onto residue like we are.  -------  A little irony------down here we need every bit of residue we can raise to make it through the windy seasons.  Crp has been a great tool in controlling the poorer soils.  Govmt has spent a pile of money promoting these improvements.  Now Govmt is subsidizing a celulostic alcohol plant in the area which needs us to cutt off the residue, bail it, & haul it off.

But as Hobby said at some point we get enough wind to move it all if it is dry enough.  

The first big blow or two will stimulate small corn, but after that It gets different and I have seen corn leaves burned by static electricity if one lasts for more than 40 hours when it is dry.  

Once had a 70+  southwest wind wall hit at 2a.m.  Temp went up 25 degrees in minutes and crop leaves browned and stunk the next day.  Grew out of it but we thought we had lost a good milo crop---------August of 1959, I think,  I was pretty small.

0 Kudos
Roy_Smith
Frequent Contributor

The rain in Eastern Nebraska is in the northeast. Southeast is very dry. I have soybean seed laying in dry dirt. We had a lot of rain early but nothing in the last three weeks....Soyroy

0 Kudos
Wind
Advisor

So you would be in the " have not's" camp.  The weatherman is calling for a strong rain event for Thursday.  Will that effect you?

Our corn is still growing and does not look stressed at this point, but will soon "run out of gas" if it does not rain Thursday.

The"old timers" would proclaim " I always rains the day before it is too late."

Hope you get a good inch of rain soon.

Take care.

Wind

0 Kudos