cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: Irresponsible

BTW where`s the government money for tiling???  If there was and they found one freeking Cattail, they`d put your farm out of commission.   So, I wouldn`t take it if it was offered.

0 Kudos
timetippingpt
Honored Advisor

Wow, "wright" clearly isn't right about much at all 🙂

For "wright" to be right, all those low wet areas have to back in to seasonal ponds and forest, not much revenue there.

It is worth pointing out that water that goes out our tiles in our never-till, cover crop system has very close to zero nutrient loading. Water that runs out of those ponds and across the fields, especially bare soil, has a huge nutrient and silt load. Like BA said, we build a 42" deep sponge. The data on how this reduces flooding is beyond debate.

Obviously, we don't drain regulated wetlands by the way. We drain the whole topography so that the water always goes down and seldom across.

0 Kudos
nitefarm
Advisor

I sure didn’t know you could get government money for tiling. Don’t think he took physics or if he did he didn’t pay attention. 

0 Kudos
wrightcattle
Veteran Advisor

Maybe nrcs and USDA don't count to some as being govt.

LoL.

In 100 yrs it won't matter anyway I reckon. 

0 Kudos
illinifarmer
Advisor

He’s absolutely correct sorry if you don’t agree look at the studies.  Tileing moves your water somewhere else never gets rid of it.  Which in turn sends it to someone else.  On cash rent ground you can get paid for unfarmed ground being paid rent on because of sloughs or ponding.  Ins. Also has programs set aside specifically for this.  Dry years you get lucky and get half a crop for nothing and normal wet years it is what it is.  All the old timers tiles that are all but useless now is just a burden on your soil as well as your neighbors.

0 Kudos
nitefarm
Advisor

B A look what you started 😜. This conversation has to be the explanation I have been looking for. There’s got to be something in the 💦 in Illinois. 😀😀

0 Kudos
k-289
Senior Advisor

Complain  about  grain  price ,  although  ready  to  spend  on  drainage  to  raise  extra  - ? 

Why  are  nitrates  elevated  in  tile  drainage  water - ? 

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Most of the time +95% the water stays within the ditch banks and goes down the ditches and rivers and eventually to the sea.  And if there`s a lot of tile, that keeps the excess water low, so when there`s a heavy rain event it`ll soak it up like a sponge.  I`ve seen heavy rains where it comes off so fast that the ditches go over the banks and your tile outlet might be 10 feet underwater...well there it`s the "fall" and the tile water hardly moves until the flooded ditches catch up and go down.  That would happen regardless because of ....gravity, water runs downhill. 

I actually have a situation that makes the "anti-tilers" case a little bit.   I have a 15" county tile going through some of my low ground, it has 3 intakes (some of you call them Hickenbottoms).  The intakes don`t do me any good, their only purpose is a "relief valve" to prevent county tile blowouts.  They put in the 15" county tile 70 yrs ago when farming was much different.  A Bigshot bought a farm that`s 5o foot higher than my low ground, he pattern tiled it and put in intakes, when it`s a heavy rain probably 100 acres flows directly into the 15" county tile and overwhelms it and 6 foot geysers of the Bigshot`s water comes out of my 3 intakes  until I`m flooded and the water reaches equilibrium.  

The problem is the 15" county tile needs to be replaced with a 24" tile.  A 24" tile that goes close to 1 mile to the ditch...forget about it $$$$$$$   it`s way cheaper for me to donate 5-10 acres to the Bigshot than to open my mouth and pay "my share" of a $1 million drainage project.  

But that`s just a small rare example .  By right`s way, when you have 50 foot of fall on your poor ol` dirt farmer neighbor, you shouldn`t be allowed to dump that much water on him, in an inadequate county drainage system.  Or he could foot the whole bill and put in a new 24" tile for us all.   🙂

But the "nitrates in the water" how much of that is actually from coons and geese peeing & pooping in the water?

0 Kudos
wrightcattle
Veteran Advisor

Just running more h2o with pollutants  to the gulf hurts the environment rather than supposedly getting rid of water. 

The day is soon coming thT we'll be desalination of ocean water and shipping that way inland... To grow crops human use etc.. 

Tiling will end then.... Keep water inland .

Guess what we get to watch another subsidised farm and govt wreck in the making.  

0 Kudos
rsbs
Veteran Advisor

BA, you raise a valid point. These old systems that were sized for surface drainage were never intended for subsurface drainage, and the ones that system tile the higher ground overwhelm the systems when a flood occurs. The guys on the lower end can end up waiting weeks instead of days for their fields to shed the surface water, and tile can actually compound the problems of flooding as it provides a conduit for the neighbors higher water to go to the lower land and pond more severely.

There should be restriction valves on the tiles to only allow the flow that was originally called for in sizing the system, and some method to monitor the flow. We are talking about millions of dollars of damages and benefits here that are being wrongfully inured to the landowners dumping their water on the low lands. I think a class action lawsuit against the county officials that allow this on county systems would open up a lot of eyes.

One of my pet peeves...another is the electric pole transmission lines that paid a pittance for the right to obstruct farming. Any easement should involve a yearly payment for the inconvenience.

0 Kudos